Chapter 3: Danger

Seconds dragged by like minutes and minutes like an eternity before Kaylen reached the forest's edge.

Even knowing returning to town as quickly as possible was the best she could do for Auden, Kaylen found her gaze on him as often as on their surroundings. He was pale. Too pale. His brown hair was greasy and matted with sweat. Dried blood flecked his lips and chin. The crease lines in his weathered face were etched deep with pain.

Realizing she was doing it again, she wrenched her head in the opposite direction, sweeping the area for danger, looking behind and above. In front of them the open grasslands stretched further than the eye could see. Stalks waved in golden invitation. Sunlight, so absent amongst the forest branches, warmed her clothes and made her squint. She blinked, the discomfort easing minimally, and she wondered if she wasn't becoming too accustomed to the forest's gloom.

The grasslands, while a part of The Wilds, wasn't as dangerous. The predators that haunted the shadows did not like the vivid colors and bright light here: animals that blended with the dark greens and greys, the muted browns and blacks, stood out in the gold and emerald of the grasslands.

The hairs on the back of Kaylen's neck stood on end.

Something stalked the grass.

Following a sixth sense – or perhaps the intuition of prey – Kaylen searched the area to the west. There. She could just make out its grey form above the golden field. Huge and heavily muscled. She'd say it looked like a bear if bears had long necks and shuffled like an overgrown monkey with too long forearms and too short hind limbs. Its movements were short and jerky but startlingly fast.

The fact she could see the beast's shoulders above the grass put it taller than G'ldrae. His whither barely broke the topmost blades. She swallowed. Even from this distance the creature's bulk was intimidating.

Wintafray planted his feet and refused to move. Kaylen's arm was yanked backwards; she just managed to stop G'ldrae before she was pulled out of the saddle. She twisted to cheek on Auden's horse and her eyes widened.

Wintafray was hiding.

He was actually hiding!

His head hung low and he stood perfectly still except for the faint tremors along his chest and flank. What could make a Wilds born horse hide? She'd seen them take out kilawar and belgin and fire salamanders. Hell, she'd seen them face down the massive Ice Wolves.

Just what was this creature?

Glafain, please, she begged and even in her head her voice was a whisper. Don't let it catch our scent. Please, don't let it notice us. Whatever this monster is, let it pass us by without harm.

She glanced at Auden slumped on Wintafray's shaking neck. And let Auden be okay. Let me get him help in time. He's a good man and he's long been your loyal servant. Please.

Not that bargaining with the goddess worked. She either did or did not act as was her will. It didn't stop Kaylen from trying.

The creature chose that moment to stand on its hind legs and raise its massive head. Kaylen ducked along G'ldrae's neck, pressing as close to the stallion as she could, and hoped it would be enough to prevent them from drawing attention.

The creature scented the air taking in long snuffling drags. Kaylen got a good look at its huge snout and rows of fangs. On each side, three eyeteeth protruded from its upper jaw and curved outside its lower lip. Grey fur that shimmered and reflected light melded into dark green iridescent scales around its eyes and muzzle. It was the most bizarre creature she'd ever seen: like a mishmash of different animals thrown sloppily together, and she knew with primordial intuition that she wanted nothing to do with the beast.