Chapter 24: The King

King Yulon was forty-two yet his hair was streaked with nearly as much grey as brown. The fine lines around his eyes and mouth were etched deeper than his age would suggest and he radiated stately solemnness coupled with perpetual exhaustion. Ink stained his hands as if he'd just put down a quill perhaps from writing orders to his generals.

Truthfully, Kaylen was surprised by how plain he looked. Perhaps the power and wealth that accompanied kingship enhanced people's retellings. She did not find his lightly padded form or his soft jaw appealing. His best features were his tan complexion and his striking emerald eyes.

Perhaps feeling his lack, King Yulon dressed in the height of fashion even within the middle of his army. His rich green tunic was the same shade as his eyes and trimmed in silver that made the grey in his hair appear less age and more wisdom. He looked like a king with more years of experience than he truly had while the fit of his leather breeches and the length of his tunic shaped him as if he was both fitter and leaner than he was.

The king's gaze swept the crowd. The way he frowned and furrowed his brow she knew he searched for his captain and company.

"Wizard Elon led me to believe your brother was the only summoner."

Or perhaps the king was upset at being lied to.

"I was near the completion of my training when I abandoned my vows, Majesty." The discontent amongst the soldiers compelled her to add: "The year before the Betrayal. After I discovered the Order murdered my brother and his unit."

"Yes," he said slowly. "The wizard mentioned that." As his men continued to whisper amongst themselves, many of their comments not complementary, the king frowned. "Come," he gestured with a leading hand towards the center of camp, "we will discuss this further in my tent. Where are my cousin and his men?"

"We went ahead of them, Majesty, so we could travel more quickly. If I may; we were accompanied by two others. They remained beyond the watch, because we were not sure of their welcome."

"You rode in with a demon but not them? What exactly are they?" he asked the barest hint of incredulity coloring his tone.

"Ice Wolves, Majesty."

"Ice Wolves!" Several men exclaimed while still more pestered their neighbors for information.

"Ice Wolves have not been seen outside The Wilds in centuries," the king said without inflection. He could have been speaking of the weather for all the expression that color his tone though the slight widening of his eyes gave away his shock and curiosity.

"Since they left these very mountains, yes. But Eshar, the Alpha of Alphas and leader of the wolves, understands the danger this drake presents. He has named me Itgar and appointed two of his best to safeguard us and see to the success of the mission."

Kaylen intentionally used the formal titles knowing the king would not understand their meanings any more than the soldiers. She wanted out of this potential mob. Just as she suspected, the king chose to invite them all to his tent rather than expose his lack of knowledge.

"It seems there is much you need to relay. Call your wolves; they will join us in my private quarters."

Kylihr raised his palm and constructed a weirlight. The king's guard tightened around him, several reaching for their weapons, as the foot soldiers gasped and murmured. The awe and unease that accompanied the simple display was both amusing and annoying. Kylihr sent the light up until it was nearly ten feet above his head and fed it power. It pulsed in a two beat rhythm. After the sixth set of pulses the construct dissipated.

It took only minutes for shouts and exclamations to rise. The men parted faster than Kaylen believed possible in such a cramped space and Kaylen got a clear view of Vandaer and Hiltar trotting into the camp. Their massive forms were more effective at parting the crowd than an irate commander. Perhaps the military would hire them to keep the men in line? Kaylen snorted at her ridiculous thoughts.