Chapter 28: Threats

The next afternoon found Kaylen walking in the gardens alone. Kylihr offered to accompany her, but she knew the constant tension with the humans was irritating him, and the best thing for him would be to limit interactions until they could leave the palace. They had tried having lunch in the dining hall – had even waited till an hour past its busiest – but they still had the misfortune of running into Lord Mindel, the king's advisor who'd nearly knocked over the serving lad back at the encampment. He made several pointed comments about leashes that had Kaylen cutting their lunch short to avoid a scene.

She sighed as she walked the rows of flowers and tinkling fountains, remembering the vicious glee in the advisor's eyes. He truly believed Kylihr wasn't the only one the king would muzzle; Kaylen's favor would dissipate with time and she would need to ingratiate herself if she wanted to stay on the correct side of a sword. The thought was revolting and its implication nearly lost Mindel his life as she practically shoved Kylihr out of the hall.

Did the king truly expect that? So far he had been nothing but grateful and gracious but she had caught a speculative gleam in his eyes more than once. When the gratefulness faded would he expect them to preform new feats? Or would he expect other performances?

Pushing the worries away, she bent to smell a bed of orange and peach roses. They used to be her favorite back when she studied with the Knights. Now she found herself leaning towards the lisianthus whose violet petals were the closest she'd found in Atolin to the vibrancy of Kylihr's magic. She inhaled deeply letting the roses' sweet scent sooth her. She loved gardens. She tried growing one at her and Auden's cottage but The Wilds had a mind of its own.

"I'm glad it wasn't me," someone said from behind her. She stiffened and stood, the peace vanishing as if it never had been in the wake of the spiteful tone. Turning, she came face to face with Lord Esset.

"Marquess," Kaylen said inclining her head. He forwent a greeting entirely.

"The way that demon thinks it's your equal?" He scoffed, his face twisted into a sneer. "I would not give it such leeway."

"His name is Kylihr and you, my lord, would not be capable of making him do anything."

The Marquess' expression soured. "You think you're all high and mighty now, don't you, guide? But you're nothing more than a servant. You'll be at the king's every beck and call. Did you really think he'd let you leave? After that display? You're too powerful to run loose and he'd be an even greater fool not to use you. When do you think he'll start attacking the other kingdoms? With that demon under his control it won't even matter he lost a third of his army."

Kylihr's words echoed in her head: 'he asked if I wanted a home here, with you, and if I was willing to fight for it'. They tumbled and mixed with Lord Esset and Lord Mindel's threats and she wondered if the king wasn't already planning that exact thing.

"Enjoy your demon while you can; the moment the king figures out how to give it to someone more pliable you will have outlived your usefulness."

"That's not how contracts work. You know nothing, my lord."

"Then my words shouldn't bother you." But he knew they did and he grinned triumphantly. "Good day, Lady Knight."

Kaylen waited only long enough for Lord Esset to disappear from sight before she turned on her heel and left the garden. She paced the halls but she couldn't shake the restless anger pounding in her veins. She needed a drink. She needed a drink where she wouldn't run into any more assholes. Returning to her rooms she ordered a passing servant to bring spiced cider.

As she waited her gaze caught on the bottle of wine from Brenden. Impatient to settle her roiling emotions, she grabbed the bottle and an opener and didn't bother with a glass. A chuckle behind her caused her to turn with the bottle raised to her lips.