Chapter 22: New Plans

With morning returned the grief. Kaylen didn't know if she would have risen from bed at all if it weren't for Kylihr. Her demon was patient. He helped her wash up in the basin left for that purpose before dressing her. She allowed him to move her body as he pleased but did nothing to help. Eventually he finished and guided her to sit on the bed as he cleaned and dressed himself.

Her master and Lord Esset were having breakfast when Kaylen and Kylihr entered the tavern's main floor. There were more people than normal sitting amongst the tables. They were busy enough Tabitha had sent her younger daughter to clear tables and fill cups to help Lydia with the influx of customers. Kaylen had never seen the like during breakfast: For dinner? Sure. Breakfast? Normally it was only those who rented rooms and Talon, because, as wonderful a healer as he was, he was terrible at fixing meals.

All eyes turned to Kylihr and Kaylen blamed her grief for forgetting. The utter silence followed by a rise in talking signaled their arrival to Tabitha. The tavern owner bustled out from the kitchen and up to Kaylen. She stood in front of them, hands on hips, and eyed Kylihr head to toe. Kaylen snickered when Kylihr straightened under the matronly woman's stare. He glared at Kaylen from the corner of his eye before returning to his staring contest. Tabitha broke first but it was a near thing.

Lord General of Unbye indeed.

"Well. Aren't you a sight?" Tabitha declared in her booming drawl.

Kylihr's eyebrows shot up and his expression was too much for Kaylen. She burst out laughing. Kylihr turned accusing eyes on her and she laughed harder clutching his arm to stay upright. When she caught her breath she straightened and wiped tears from the corner of her eyes. She was aware enough to realize her hysterics were as much a result of stress as the situation but laughter felt good and she decided she didn't care.

"It's good to see you laughing, hon. You don't do it enough." Tabitha appraised Kylihr. She nodded once and clapped her hands together. "If he can make you laugh I reckon he's alright. Why don't you two head back to your room and I'll bring you some breakfast and send your group up. No reason to be putting up with this nosy lot."

She gestured to encompass her entire tavern and Kaylen's lips twitched in rye agreement. She clapped the older woman on the shoulder and thanked her sincerely as she led Kylihr back upstairs. Neither spoke till they were safely in their room. Which smelled rather heavily of sex. Kaylen grimaced.

"Perhaps you can lower your ward and open a window?"

"Hm?"

"You know," she waved a hand in front of her nose, "air out the room before others arrive?"

"Do you think it smells?" Kylihr asked with a teasing lilt. Kaylen raised her eyes to the ceiling.

"You know damn well what I'm referring to, demon."

He snorted but did as she asked.

"You're embarrassed by what we did?"

"I think fate has it out for me. Of all the people to summon demons I'm the one that gets the incubus."

"It bothers you? What I am?"

Kaylen paused, looking up at him from her place cross-legged on the bed. He leaned against the window frame and his tone was light, playful, but Kaylen knew she needed to tread carefully – and to be completely honest because anything less would cause problems later.

She considered what she wanted to say, and Kylihr let her, though she could feel his tension growing. Rising she went to him and nudged his calf so he'd spread his legs. She stepped between them and didn't stop until her whole body was pressed flush. She buried her face against his neck and breathed him in.