06 - the date

[ s i x ] - the date

The room was so silent I could feel Cole breathing next to me. I pulled the covers over to hide my breasts as I stared bullets into the ceiling.
Cole spoke first. "Listen, I'm glad we decided to take it slow." He said, turning his head to look at me.
I nodded and my eyes met his, "Yeah, the timing was just not right."
"Of course," he agreed, "the moment needs to be right."
I sighed and sat up in his bed, and he sat up as well. He swung his legs over the bed and pulled on his pants, before opening his closet and tossing me a button down.
I raised my eyebrows, "You know I have clothes right here." I said, motioning to the floor.
He cracked a smile and nodded, "I know, I just like you better in something of mine."
Every word from him made my heart clench and my stomach to flutter. I slipped on the dress shirt and buttoned up the front. He grabbed my hands and pushed them away as I got to the last button. "No, leave that one undone." He said with a smirk.
I rolled my eyes and headed for the door. Before I could open it, he spun me around and kissed me one last time. "When the time's right," he whispered in my ear, "I'll show you what it's like to be treated like a queen."
I had to physically restrain myself from doing something I'd regret. I slipped out of the door and crept to my room.
"What were you guys doing?" Braxton asked, standing in the doorway of his room. As I turned around I saw him scanning my body up and down. I immediately buttoned the top button.
"We were just talking." I said nervously, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.
"Naked?" He asked bluntly and I laughed.
"Yeah, Braxton, naked." I said sarcastically, attempting to get under his skin. I could see his jaw clenching as he approached me grabbing my arms like he always did.
"I told you to leave my brother alone, and your doing quite the opposite here." He said, a vein popping from his forehead.
I just laughed in his face, his presence didn't scare me anymore. Not fully, that is. "I told you, Braxton. We were just talking."
He shook his head, "Well then, why don't you and I talk a little huh?"
"Knock it off, Braxton." Cole says from his doorway. "Nothing happened between us. Right, Elena?"
I nodded while glaring into Braxtons eyes.
"See? Now let go." Cole demanded, more stern this time.
Braxton groaned and released me from his grip, before storming into his room. Cole rushed over to me and pulled me into a hug.
"I'm so sorry, are you okay?" He asked, looking me up and down like I'm a wounded puppy. I nodded and pulled him back into an embrace.
"I'm okay." I whisper into his chest. After a while we let go of each other. Cole planted a soft kiss on my lips and a warm smile formed on his face.
"I have to go," he says, looking at his watch.
I nod and wave goodbye as he disappears down the stairs. I quietly slip into my room and change out of his shirt into another outfit. I stored his shirt in a safe place, just for the future. I plopped on my bed and checked my phone, which had been bombarded with texts from Avery about what happened. I replied, Nothing happened. We decided to wait. She replied almost instantly with a couple shocked emojis. I just laughed and slipped my phone into my pocket.
I leaned up against the headboard of my bed and clicked on the tv. I ended up dozing off only after a couple minutes.
I was awaken by a knock on the door.
"Come in." I croak, rubbing my eyes. Cole opens the door, he was in dress pants and a nice shirt. I furrow my eyebrows and tilt my head to the side in confusion.
"I came to ask you on a date." He declared and my eyes lit up.
"Yes, of course!" I said jumping out of bed, "Give me 20 minutes to get ready?"
"Take all the time you need." He smiled before closing the door.
I squealed quietly to myself and had a 20 second dance party before texting Avery to come over. She, of course, arrived in under 5 minutes with makeup and an outfit. I curled my hair in loose curls while Avery applied small amounts of makeup. I admired myself in the mirror. I was taken aback for a few moments. I never saw myself like this, it was refreshing.
"You ready for your outfit?" Avery squealed and I nodded in excitement. She handed me a wardrobe bag and I quickly changed. I smiled as I stood in front of the mirror. Avery picked out a cherry red off the shoulder dress that hugged my curves in all the right places. Avery clapped her hands in excitement when I revealed to her the final look.
"I've never seen you like this," Avery gawked, "You need to do this more often."
I chuckled and shook my head, "This is all thanks to you."
I gave Avery one last hug before she went home.
"Are you ready, Elena?" Cole called from downstairs. I emerged from my room and stood at the top of the stairs, looking down at Cole. His face lit up as he scanned my whole body.
I flashed him a confident smile, "Ready."
I made my way down the stairs to Cole, his smile never left his face.
"Good lord, You are stunning." He said, his voice squeaking a little. I giggled in response.
Braxton came out from the kitchen and slapped Cole on the back, knocking him out of his trance. "Hot damn." He said scanning me like Cole did. My stomach fluttered a little, I'd never had people talk about me like that. I felt good about myself.
Cole rolled his eyes and lead me to his car, I slid in the passenger seat while Cole slid into the driver's seat. Braxton leaned down to the car window, "Be home by 10, don't have sex or do drugs, and all that okay?"
We both rolled our eyes and waved goodbye. I couldn't help but see Braxtons sad face as we pulled out of the driveway. He was smiling faintly, but I could see right through it.
We pulled up to a grassy cliff and stopped the car. I furrowed my eyebrows and looked around I'm confusion.
"What are we doing here?" I asked.
He smirked, "Follow me."
I followed him past some trees and through a clearing with a cute picnic blanket set out by the overlook. I smiled and we took a seat on the blanket. He pulled champagne out of the basket and I snickered as he offered me a glass.
"I'm underage." I reminded him. He shrugged and started pouring himself a glass, which I took from him immediately. "And so are you." I said smugly.
He shook his head in defeat and pulled out sandwiches from the basket instead. "Ham for you," he said, handing it to me, "just how you like it."
I scoffed, "And how do you know how I like my sandwiches?"
He took a bite of his and swallowed before replying, "Avery and I talk quite frequently."
I raised my eyebrows in suspicion, "Really?"
He took another bite and nodded, "Mhm."
I finally took a bite of mine a moaned in delight. Cole instantly laughed at me.
"It's really good," I tell him.
Once we finished our sandwiches, we stood up and approached the ledge of the cliff, his hand in mine, looking down at our small town.
"It's beautiful," I say, gazing at the town. The sun was just starting to set, causing a pink mist to paint the sky. The streetlights and lights in peoples houses lit up inevitably darkening sky. After a moment I realized Cole was staring at me, I locked my eyes with his.
"You're beautiful," he says softly. A smile formed on my lips as I pulled him into a kiss.
"Thank you for today." I whisper against him.
He takes a deep breath in and out, "Anytime, Angel."
We got home just before the sun completely set. Cole had went straight up for a shower but I decided to relax in the living room. The minute I was fully seated, I ripped my heels off my feet and winced in pain.
Braxton took a seat next to me, handing me two bandaids. "For your blisters."
I smiled, "Thank you."
After I put the bandaids on I grabbed a blanket and snuggled underneath it.
"Would you like me to light the fire?" Braxton asked. I nodded and mumbled a thank you as he lit it, then returned to the couch. "You know, I've known my brother since he came out of my mother's womb, and I've never seen him as happy as he was coming home tonight."
"Well I think we had a pretty good date," I replied. I felt so utterly happy that I could make someone feel that way.
"I'm sorry I've been harsh on you, Elena. I've kinda had to be my brothers parent since ours passed away. It's not easy being a teenager who also is in charge of their little brother." He explained.
I thought for a moment, weary about what I was about to say next, but I decided to tell him, "My parents died too," I said quietly. His eyebrows rose and he scooted closer to me, pulling me into a small side hug.
"I am so sorry," he said.
"It happened this summer... car crash." I explained, trying to choke back my tears.
We didn't say anything else, I just rested my head against his shoulder as we listened to each other breathing. He rubbed small hypnotic circles on my arm until I fell into a deep slumber.

***
Authors Note: And that's a wrap on chapter 6! Whoop whoop! I hope you all enjoyed. Now we know about the event that happened during the summer that lead Elena to move here! If you enjoyed please leave a comment and a vote. Thanks babes<3