07 - soaring into oblivion

[ s e v e n ] - soaring into oblivion

     I remember getting the call from the hospital the day my parents died. They had left late that night, but they didn't tell me where they were going. I had invited a couple of my friends over so I didn't have to be alone in my house. We had broken into my mother's stash of vodka. At approximately 12:34 in the morning, my phone rang. I was the one to answer the phone. When I had received the news that my parents had gotten into a car crash, my stomach churned and I fell silent. What hurt even worse was when they told me they had been drinking. I argued with the nurse over the phone for what seemed like hours, yet they were only mere minutes. My heart burned and felt as if my body was slowly shutting down. I slammed my phone down and screamed until my throat gave out. None of my friends knew what was happening, I couldn't bare to tell him. Saying it out loud made it real, and I wasn't ready to face what I had heard. I fell to my knees and cried, clawing at the floor beneath me. After hours of agony, I finally took a staggered breath in and out, then muttered the words, "My parents are dead."

        "Elena? Elena wake up!" I was shaken awake by Braxtons hands. I pried my eyes open and saw the horrified expression on his face. It was only then had I realized I'd been crying in my sleep. I bolted straight up in fear, clinging to his chest for comfort. "It's okay, Elena," he comforted me, "it was only a dream."
     As he talked me down, my heart rate slowed to a normal pace, and I sighed in relief. I rubbed my forehead with my hands. "I'm sorry, I get nightmares a lot." I said hugging my arms to my chest.
     His once frightened face finally relaxed and he fell back into the sofa. "You scared the hell out of me."
      I sat at the edge of the sofa with my face in my hands. "I said I'm sorry." I mumbled through my hands. I peered up to see his face harden to his usual stern expression.
     "Fine," he said aggressively, pushing himself off the couch, "maybe next time I won't wake you up."
     I choked out a cough and threw my hands in the air, "Fine, Asshole."
     He poured himself a drink. "Ouch," he said sarcastically. I grabbed the pillow that was next to me and chucked it at him. He, of course, ducked and it ended up hitting a picture frame off of the fireplace mantel. It fell to the floor and shattered. Braxtons face got instantly more mad, which I didn't think was possible.
     Coles frantic footsteps came rushing down the stairs and he scanned the tense room. "What the hell is going on?" He asked, frightened.
     "I was just going to bed," I said, throwing the blanket that rested in my lap onto the floor. I stormed past both of them and headed straight for my room. Cole called after me but I shoo'd him away. I slammed my door behind me and threw myself into my bed, screaming into my pillow.
     There was a soft knock at my door, to which I just grunted in response. I rolled over and tucked myself under my covers. Cole slipped through the door and closed it behind him carefully.
     "My brother can be a dick sometimes," he said softly.
     I rolled over on my side, facing the wall and avoiding eye contact. I felt the bed dip behind me before a pair of arms wrapped around my waist, pulling me into their chest. I tried to wiggle out of his grip, but then sighed in defeat when he wouldn't let me go.
     "He's just so..." I began.
     "Infuriating?"
     "Exactly."
     He planted a soft kiss on my neck and sighed, "That's just who he is."
     I flipped over quickly so that I was facing him, "But why?"
     He shrugged, "Because that was his coping mechanism for our parents. He pretends to not care about the people he cares about the most."
     The last sentence lingered in the air as I thought about it. So did Braxton care about me? If so, why does he seem sweet one minute and then the next he acts like a total douchebag?
     "I should go." Cole said, pushing himself off of the bed and towards the door.
     Right as he opened the door I sat up, "Wait," I called after him. He spun around. "Please stay." I whispered.
     His head dropped and he smiled, "Okay."
     He climbed back into bed with me and pulled me into his chest. I let out a sigh of relief and slowly drifted off to sleep.
***
     I woke up the next morning and found an empty void where Cole had once laid. I frowned and made my way over to my dresser, where a pink sticky note was stuck onto my mirror. Had to run an errand. Be home by lunch.
     I smiled and ran my fingers over the letters. My heart felt like it was going to jump out of my chest. I threw my robe on and crept downstairs, keeping an eye out for Braxton. Before I made it to the kitchen, pounding erupted from the front door. I jumped in fear and quickly made my way to the door. I swung it opened and prepared to yell at Cole. But it was not Cole.
     A girl that looked around my age stood with her arms crossed. Her perfectly straight blonde hair insulted me from across the room. Her blue eyes stared daggers into my soul.
     I scrunched up my face in confusion. "Who are you?" I questioned, scanning her up and down.
     She scoffed and rolled her eyes. "I'm Kendra Jenkins. And you must be the girl that's sleeping with my boyfriend."
     My jaw dropped and I panicked immediately. My face changed from confused, to shocked, to denial, in only a couple seconds. She rolled her eyes once more and shifted the weight of her body to her other foot. "So are you going to invite me in?"
     "I guess so," I squeaked. She immediately settled herself on the couch as if she was in her own home. I sat in the seat across from her.
     She obviously was in no mood to talk, so I spoke first. "What do you mean your 'boyfriend'?" I asked.
     She sighed and leaned forward, "Let me guess: Cole reeled you in by taking you on a magical picnic to the overlook and made you feel oh-so special and then took you home and snuggled up in bed together. Sorry to break it to you sweetie, he does that with every girl he deems fit."
     I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I felt rage building up inside of me. I rubbed my face with my hands. "And your his girlfriend?"
     "For 3 years," she confirmed and I sunk in my chair. I felt tears burning in the back on my eyes but I blinked quickly and wiped them away.
     "He never told me," I choked out.
     "Well now that you know... stop sleeping with my boyfriend." She spat.
     I waved my hands and shook my head, "We never did,"
     A look of shock spread on her face, "Really? Cole sleeps with everyone one of his toys. I wonder why he didn't with you..."
     I stayed quiet while I was being swamped with thoughts all through my head. I breathed heavily, choking back more and more tears. Then finally, when I couldn't take it anymore, I sprung up from my chair, grabbed Braxtons keys, and stormed out the door.
     I flung myself into Braxtons mustang and slammed the door. I turned the key to start the car and shifted in into reverse. I floored it and sped out the driveway and down the road. I didn't know where I was going, but I kept driving. The tears made my vision blurry but I didn't care. I took my rage out by pressing further and further down on the peddle. I closed my eyes for a moment, trying to control my emotions. The moment I opened them back up, all I saw was a semi-truck, coming straight at me. I screamed and swerved, causing the car to fly off the road, flipping upside down. It felt like the world around me had been put into slow motion. The car finally came to a stop as it slammed into a tree. I hung upside down from my seat, my arms swinging above my head. I let out one last cry before closing my eyes, succumbing to the ocean of darkness.

***

Authors Note: Thanks to everyone for reading the seventh chapter! Oooooh boy, it just got interesting. If you enjoyed and want me to keep writing this story, please vote and leave comments! Thanks a bunch, babes<3