xx. | twenty

IT WAS TO SAFE TO SAY the following days after the end of school were hell. I had been fighting with my Aunt Emma and Uncle Leo a lot. I knew I was strong enough to stay and fight but they seemed to think different. "We want you to stay alive!" Emma yelled at me for what seemed like the hundredth time that day.

I groaned and rolled my eyes at her. "Some life!" I huffed back, flopping down into the armchair. "Running my whole life, looking over my shoulder every two minutes, and constantly leaving those I care about behind!"

Leo seemed to be seeing my side of things more than Emma but she refused to change her mind. "We're moving you to Massachusetts, whether you like it or not!" She screamed at me, louder than she ever had before. I blinked a couple of times, in shock. "No boyfriend is going to change that. This is your survival we're talking about."

I shook my head at her. "This isn't just about Draco," I defended myself, truthfully. Emma paused for a moment, as though to listen to what I was going to say. "I've made too many close friends to let them go." Emma still stayed silent. "Tommy, Stella, Poppy, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Fred, George, Ginny, Seamus, Dean," I listed, adding the last two on for effect.

Leo stood up from his seat, taking a deep breath. "Darling, maybe you should reconsider," he proposed, trying to sway her. "She's never going to want to make friends in school if she thinks we're going to move her as soon as she settles in."

Emma turned her head away from Leo, not wanting to look him in the eyes. He always was very convincing and very good at persuading. He let out a sharp exhale and shook his head before turning to me. "Tasmin, would you give us some privacy? I'll try to talk some sense into her," he explained.

I nodded my head and left the room, closing the door behind me. Of course, I wasn't going to go away and not listen to the conversation. "I'm worried about her," Emma said, immediately, in a very hushed tone. I had to strain my hearing and hold my breath to be able to hear what they were saying. "She and Draco are just the same as what Amelia and Dominic were."

My heart plummeted in my chest at the mention of my parents. Their names were rarely spoken in this family, I was just left to wonder what they were like. "All the more reason to trust her," Leo replied, moving across the room. Silence filled the room for a few moments before he spoke again. "Just try it. At least let her go back and finish her OWLs next year and we'll decide on what to do when her NEWTs come up."

The silence in the room felt comforting. At least she wasn't refusing the idea straight away. I heard her let out a sigh and agree. I silently leapt in glee, punching the air. The door opened and I stopped before giving the two a hug. "I love you! Thank you!" I cheered before running up to my room to write to Draco.

To Draco,
I've done it! I'm allowed back to Hogwarts, to finish my OWLs, at least. I haven't asked about being able to stay with you for a bit during the summer, I'll give it a couple of weeks before I ask. That way, my Aunt Emma has more time to believe Hogwarts was her idea, not mine.
I can't wait to see you again!
Tasmin

I let the ink dry as I ran into the office downstairs to get an envelope. I ran back upstairs and wrote 'Draco Malfoy, Malfoy Manor, Wiltshire' on the front. I folded up the parchment and stuffed it into an envelope. I sealed the letter and sent Farley away with it. The following day, I received a reply.

On the front, I saw Draco's usual neat handwriting on the front. I turned the envelope and it was sealed by a wax seal of a serpent with a huge letter 'M' in the middle. I broke the seal and read the letter.

Tasmin,
That's brilliant! Best news I've had all week! I've been really worried about you. I hope you're well. My mother is keen to meet you, I hope you can make it.
See you soon,
Draco.

I frowned at the letter. 'My mother is keen to meet you'. There was no mention of his father in there, which slightly worried me. I had seen his father at the Quidditch World Cup last summer and he was very intimidating. I brushed off the feeling and hoped he didn't mention his father because I had seen him at the World Cup, despite not actually meeting him.

I seemed a lot happier over the following fortnight as I planned how I was going to ask about staying at Draco's. I had decided it would be a better idea to ask Leo and hopefully, he would be able to persuade Emma into letting me go.

In the week leading up to me going to the Malfoy Manor, Leo seemed to become more shifty as the days went on. Emma seemed to become more relaxed. Something wasn't right. I didn't think it would be anything worth worrying about and just tried to forget about it.

I had all of the things that I would need already packed in a bag and put some money in my purse in case we went to Diagon Alley. Uncle Leo knocked on my bedroom door, announcing his presence.

The door was already open so I turned my head in his direction. "You okay?" I asked, throwing my purse into the bag. He sat down on my bed in silence, causing me to furrow my brows at him. "No?"

"No, I'm fine," he dismissed as I sat down next to him. "Just a question," he added, to which I nodded my head for him to continue. Farley hooted quietly in the corner of my room, almost to make his presence known as well. "Do we need to have the talk?" He asked me, catching me by surprise.

I stifled a laugh before realising he was being serious. I still tried to keep the conversation light-hearted to avoid any awkwardness. "Emma beat you to it by like two years," I told him, letting out a soft laugh. He did the same, almost looking guilty for laughing. "Don't worry, you're not going to be a Grandad anytime soon."

My face dropped when I realised what I had said. He would never be a Grandad to any of my children. He's not my Dad. "Great Uncle, I mean," I corrected myself, clearing my throat after hearing how weak my voice sounded.

He still had a soft smile on his face. "No, Grandad," he agreed, nodding his head. We sat in uncomfortable silence for a few moments. "Emma and I never had any children because you are our child," he added on, disturbing the silence. "Dominic and Amelia might have brought you into the Earth but in my opinion, we are just as much as your parents as they are, if not more."

The more I thought about it, the more it made sense. I nodded my head in understanding before he wrapped his arm tightly around me and planted a kiss on the top of my head. He stood up and started to leave the room. "I love you, kiddo," he told me. I said it back before busying myself to keep myself distracted.

It was true. I may have been an orphan but I most definitely had parents. I was happy in the family that I had. I was happy with all the friends I had made. I was happy knowing I wasn't leaving Hogwarts. At least for a little while longer. Besides, I should've always known that Hogwarts wasn't going to get rid of me that easily.