Chapter 1

Amelia Morrison grabbed her laptop from the small desk. She scanned the rest of the room, looking for anything she might need. She decided she wanted to bring a camera home with her over the break.

She grabbed the Canon 80D and put it in the nicest camera bag the teacher owned. She threw in three lenses, SD cards, and an extra battery. She grabbed the charger for the battery and decided it wasn't worth it to take anything extra. She had enough that the camera would serve it's purpose, and while there was plenty of other things she could take it just didn't seem worth the extra weight.

Amelia took the camera and the laptop out of the small office-like room. She waved a goodbye to her teacher and left the building.

The drive home was uneventful. The school parking lot had been crowded with kids saying goodbye to their friends for the summer break.

Amelia was relieved it was summer. Sophomore year had been rough and she looked forward to the two months of doing nothing.

Well, nothing except their family vacation. For the first time ever, they were going to Hawaii. Amelia had been on plenty of family vacations but no where as far away or as amazing as Hawaii. She was insanely excited and had been ever since she learned of the trip.

When she got home the door was locked. Although that was unusual, she didn't think anything of it. She simply unlocked the door and walked inside.

The moment the door was open she knew something was wrong. The place had been trashed. Instead of continuing inside, she went back out and called her parents.

No answer.

"911, what's your emergency?"

Amelia took a deep breath. "Someone broke into my house, I think. Everything is all over the place. My parents aren't answering their cells. I'm at 1020 Mills Street."

"Ok, ma'am, have you gone inside the house?"

"I just went through the front door. Then I went back out." Amelia fought to control her breathing. You are not allowed to panic right now.

"Ok, I need you to stay outside, I have a squad car on the way right now. Do not go inside. I want you to go to your car and lock yourself in it, ok?"

Amelia nodded, then realized she was on the phone. "Yeah, I can do that." She swallowed. "How far away is that car?"

"Three minutes out, ma'am. Can you tell me your name?"

"Amelia Morrison."

"Ok, Amelia, listen to me. Everything is going to be ok, alright? Just stay on the phone with me."

"Yeah, yeah, I am."

"Amelia, how old are you?"

"I'm. . . I'm 16."

"Alright, Amelia, you're doing great. Do you have any family nearby?"

Amelia tried to take a deep breath, but she hiccuped instead. "Um, no, no I don't. I'm adopted and both my parents moved here from New York. They wanted to leave the city and they couldn't have children of their own."

"Ok, Amelia. That squad car is about a minute out. The officers names are James Hudgon and Kylie Wilkes.  Can you try to focus on your breathing, for me? In for four seconds, our for four seconds. Alright?"

"Yeah, in four, out four. Ok," she said. Amelia tried her best to keep that rhythm, but she kept hiccuping. Her breath would not stay even despite her efforts.

She did that until the car arrived. "They're here."

"Ok, Amelia. I'm going to hang up now, alright?"

"Ok, thank you," she muttered before closing the call. The unlocked her car door and stumbled out, leaning on it. Her legs felt a little weak but she did her best not to stumble.

"Officers!" she called.

"Amelia, I need you to stay in your car, ok? We need to check the house and see what happened, ok?" The man said. Hudgon, she remember.

Amelia did her best to distract herself while they went into the house, but there was no mistaking the look on the officer's face when they came back outside.

She felt her stomach drop. "What? What is it?"

Officer Wilkes stepped forward. "I'm very sorry to tell you that your parents-"

Amelia didn't hear anything else. Her chest felt tight and she couldn't breath. Her parents were gone. They were dead.

---------------------------------------------

Two weeks later

Amelia sat in the detective's office. It had been two weeks since her parents had died and until now, they had no luck in locating Amelia's birth parents. When the cops first went over the house, they found no registration for when Amelia had been adopted. They turned the house upside down, but they never found any kind of documentation.

The detective decided to take a sample of her DNA and run it through the database. The results were finalized, but she had been told they might know who her father was.

The detective responsible for the case was outside the room on the phone. He was clearly agitated about something. Finally, he hung up and went inside to deliver the news.