Chapter 9

The next morning, Amelia woke up early. She had never been one to sleep in and the time change was really messing with her. It was about 7am when she got out of bed.

She started by checking her notifications. She had a couple of text messages. Ms. Carter sent a message checking in on her, and her friend Kaylie had texted asking how different Hawaii was. A couple of her adoptive dad's coworkers had texted to make sure everything was alright.

She responded to the messages and put on a pair of blue jean capris. She threw on a t-shirt broadcasting her old schools colors and threw her hair into a ponytail.

She went into the bathroom and brushed her teeth. She finished getting ready and went downstairs.

She noticed two towels laying over the chairs outside. Clearly, Steve and Junior were already awake.

She walked into the kitchen and grabbed an apple. She then poured a cup of milk that she downed. She decided she still wanted something, so she put some bread in the toaster and buttered it.

As soon as she was done she walked back into the living room. Steve and Junior were still out. She had no clue how long they would be out there or even what time they woke up.

Finally, she decided she might as well take a shower. She hadn't gotten one last night and her hair was super oily from the flight.

Her shower was quick. When she got out, she rushed downstairs because she heard a phone ringing.

It was Steve's cell and the caller ID showed it was Danny. She glanced outside but they were no where to be seen.

She sighed and answered the phone.

"Danny? It's Amelia."

"Oh!" There was movement on the other end. "Sorry, I didn't really expect him to pick up. Look, as soon as he gets back from his training or whatever will you tell him I need to talk to him?"

"Of course. Any specific message. . .?"

"Um, yeah. Tell him that he and Junior need to get to the office. It's important."

"Anything I should be worried about?"

"No, no, no. Don't worry. It's nothing, just some new information on an old case. Amelia, why are you up so early?"

"Time change. Steve mentioned you were from New Jersey, so I'm sure you've dealt with it too."

"Oh yeah. 6 hours is the worst. All right, I'll let you get back to. . .whatever you were doing."

"Ok, Danny. Bye."

She hung up the phone and dropped it back on the table. She had a feeling in her gut. Something told her something bad had happened. She looked outside again. Still nothing.

She stretched again and pulled out her phone. Kaylie had texted her again asking about her new dad.

So, what do you think? Do you like your new dad?

Amelia typed out a quick reply. I like him. But it's hard to think of him as my dad.

Well, I, for one, am very unhappy that you moved away. Who am I going to talk to in math class next year?

Well, you and Jason are pretty close.

Amelia!!! It's not like that and you know it.

Amelia grinned at the message. Everyone knew Jason liked Kaylie but he was too shy to ask her out and she was completely oblivious.

Jason likes you. I promise.

You know what? I changed my mind. I'm glad you aren't here to bug me about that.