Chapter 3

Amelia's knee was bouncing like crazy. A movie was playing on the tiny screen in front of her but she wasn't paying any attention. Outside the window she could the island in view. In just a few minutes she would get off and meet her birth father.

She wasn't sure how she felt about everything.

On the one hand, she had been told her father was eager to meet her and insisted on taking her in. On the other hand, how does someone not know they have a daughter? She had always assumed her birth parents didn't want her, and she was fine with that. After all, her parents, the one's who raised her, loved her.

Because she was their only child, she was spoiled. But she never took it for granted. She loved them and they loved her.

The idea of meeting the man who was her birth father was kind of scary. She wasn't sure how you were supposed to act with someone who is supposed to be an important part of your life. She didn't particularly want to leave Georgia. All her friends were there.

She had been excited to go to Hawaii, but without her parents all the excitement was gone. Because they were gone.

Amelia pulled her headphones out and dropped them in her backpack. She pulled out her phone. It was almost three in the afternoon but she was exhausted. She had left Georgia at 7 a.m that morning. That, combined with 6 hour time change, made for 14 hours of traveling. She had dozed a bit on the planes but she was completely exhausted.

The felt the plane begin its final descent in the Oahu airport. Her heart began to race and the plane shook with turbulence. She had been on plenty of planes and knew that it did this every time, but she was still nervous. She couldn't help it.

The wheels touched down and the plane shook violently. As the plane slowed to a stop, she controlled her breathing and calmed herself down.

She grabbed her phone and opened the camera. She checked herself in the mirror.

I look horrible, she thought. Oh well.

She pulled her backpack off the ground and slung it on her back. One the plane had mostly cleared, she stood up and grabbed her other carry-on from the top shelf. She set it down and pulled the handle out.

Once she was off the plane, she followed the crowd to baggage claim. There she grabbed her last bag when it came around.

3 bags. Everything she needed she had crammed into three bags.

She backed away from the luggage carousel and scanned the crowd. Sure enough Steve McGarrett was there.

She took a breath and pulled her bags behind her. He saw her coming and they locked eyes.

Right away, she could see that she had his eyes and that they were both tall. That's where the similarities stopped. His hair was black as opposed to her brown. He had a long chin while hers face was much shorter. Her skin was a couple shades darker as well.

He had been standing a ways away from the baggage carousel but walked forward to meet her when they locked eyes.

They reached each other and the awkwardness was clear. Amelia hesitated to say anything, so Steve spoke first.

"Look, I know these are the worst possible circumstances to meet your real father, and I'm really sorry about what's happened. . ."

Amelia cut him off. "It's been a long day already. I've been traveling for fourteen hours. I really need some food and some sleep, let's just. . ." she trailed off.

He nodded and grabbed her bags. "One step at a time. Come on."