Reunion with Parents

At the age of twenty five, I was a drug addict. I was currently staying at the Drug Rehabilitation Center, Pune but it was more of a roundabout way of my parents to disown me. I was a shame for them in front of the relatives and society. I didn't care. I was happy here. The institute had provided me with a personal room, half of which was turned by me in a mini lab to carry on my experiments. I used to be a medical student researching in cancer treatment medicines before the accident. THE ACCIDENT! I hate to talk about it and everyone at the Center knows it. I have been changing rehab centers since last two years but unfortunately my parents were unable to make me give up my habit ('awful habit' as per them) and therefore I could not carry on with my medical degree.

"You haven't packed your bags yet", Seema di was standing at my door with a basket filled with my laundry. "Your father will be here any moment. Get ready, Tammy".

"I don't want to go", I sighed dumping the contents of the test tube in the sink. This new experiment was getting on to my nerves. I had been working on this for the last six months but without any results.

"Come on Tammy! It's your sister's wedding. She must need you right now. And it is high time you take a break from your boring experiments and the awful food of the institute", Seema di started sorting my clothes (all that was a black jeans, a pair of black shorts and some black tees).

"No one needs me there Di. You know it very well. Anyways I will go. For Alisha. And as for the food, you know I am not that choosy", I finished packing my lab equipment and kept the kit near my suitcase.

Although I did not want to go to my place, I really was looking forward meeting my little sister. I couldn't believe Alisha was getting married. My little sister! Who could not even buy proper clothes for herself without my assurance! It has been nine months since I last saw her. A week before, I was convinced not to face my parents again but then Alisha called up and emotionally blackmailed me to come to her supposedly dream destination wedding. So here I was, waiting for my dad to take me home. It is good in the sense that now I will not have to sneak up to the attic store room of the institute for a smoke. I could do it freely after getting out of here.

"Tammy! Your father's here", our head warden Mrs. Joshi entered my room. She had been a pain in the ass these nine months. "I hope you are all set to go".

"Yes ma'am", I saluted her in the dramatic manner that irritates her every time.

"One more thing Tammy! I hope you will remember whatever you have learned from this place. I want you to give up smoking this time for good. I know you don't think very highly of me. But trust me, I have always thought of your welfare. You are a very talented and intelligent lady. Just move on with your life". Mrs. Joshi ended with a hand on my shoulders. I also thought I saw a tear in the corner of her eyes.

"What-ever", I shrugged. Jeez! Why is this woman getting suddenly all emotional? I popped my chewing gum once before spitting it to the nearby bin. Hey Dad! Here I come.

My room was situated on the second floor of the building. Although the rooms and classes were very plain, the reception and corridors had been designed sleekly with modern décor. It was done to attract outsiders and give them a brief idea about the Institute's standards. Since outsiders were not allowed to enter the rooms section, they didn't bother to renovate them.

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw my father standing near the reception area of our institution was my strolling with him at the park, hand in hand, when I was eight years old. I used to love him so much.Ugh! Get a grip Tam!

"Hey Dad! Long-time no see" I greeted my father who was curiously looking at my attire.

"Don't tell me you are going to leave wearing that" my father replied not so sweetly to my greeting. Ha! So much for reunion! His statement of non-concern brought me back to the present.