2 | The Girl of the Dawn

AERA STILL CLUNG TO THE BELIEF THAT THE WORLD STILL HELD KINDNESS, that amidst the darkness, stars could be found. She found solace in the simple moments – a wave from a neighbor, the laughter of children playing on the streets.

She refused to surrender to despair, even when life seemed unkind. Aera's heart was large, her capacity for caring boundless. Even in the face of abandonment – by people and even the gods – she persisted. She knew that giving up would mean losing a part of herself forever.

To her, a single act of kindness had the power to illuminate the world, casting a little light into the shadows.

"Are you alright?" The concern in the stranger's amethyst eyes was palpable as they met Aera's warm, earth-toned gaze. She hand hovered slightly, ready to offer assistance if needed.

"Uh- yes, thank you." Aera's smile was appreciative, her grip firm as she accepted Yona's offered hand. Her own hands, roughened by labor, held a slight contrast against the redhead's smooth skin.

She's a petite girl, her features delicate against the backdrop of her pretty pale skin. Her round purple eyes held a depth of genuine concern, and her unique red waves were partially obscured by the hood of her cape. She looked to be around Aera's age, standing about a head shorter.

"It's embarrassing! I'm not usually like this; I think the fatigue has gotten to me!" Aera admitted with an embarrassed grin, her fingers absently scratching the back of her head. "My name is Aera, Miss...?" Her curiosity was evident as she looked at her.

"Yona!" She laughed softly, her eyes crinkling with warmth. A light breeze lifted a few strands of her red hair from beneath the hood of her cape. "I mean, my name is Yona."

"Thank you for checking up on me, Miss Yona!" Aera's gratitude was evident in her tone, a genuine smile gracing her lips. "I'm Aera."

"Aera..." Yona repeated slowly, testing the name on her lips. "Do you need help?" Her gaze then flickered to the barrels of wine on the ground.

"Oh!" Aera's realization prompted her into action, and she swiftly lifted the barrels onto her shoulders. The way she effortlessly managed the weight of the barrels drew a genuine gasp of amazement from Yona. It made Aera bashful at the other girl's amazement.

"If you don't mind me... I have to get back to work." Aera hesitated briefly, her smile retaining its warmth even as she prepared to continue her journey. "It was nice meeting you, Miss Yona." She turned to continue on her way, but Yona's call halted her.

"Wait!" Yona's voice carried a sense of urgency. Her fingers gently wrapped around Aera's forearm, a gentle touch that held a note of earnestness. "May I accompany you? You might collapse on the ground again... I won't trouble you, I'll leave once you reach your destination."

Aera's smile remained steadfast, a gentle mask that hid the inner turmoil. Her heart fluttered like a trapped bird, uncertain and anxious. She grappled with the question of how to reveal her own circumstances – the fact that she lived and worked in a brothel.

Girls from outside the red district didn't wish to associate with her. The knowledge that one day, she might have to share herself with different men every night loomed over her, casting a shadow on her thoughts. She was that girl – the one others couldn't be seen with as a respectable young woman. In the eyes of the world, Aera was just a "dirty" girl, unworthy of companionship. Shame gnawed at her heart, making her hesitate, her struggle reflected in her conflicted gaze.

"It's okay, I'm strong. I don't usually get sick." Aera's words, though gentle, held a firmness as she tried to extricate herself from the situation. She prepared to step away, to let Yona go her own way. Yet, before she could take more than a step, Yona's grip on her arm held her back.