Chapter Five

Two hours pass before Tony starts seizing.

It takes too long for Peter to connect what was happening, and when he does he can't help but freeze. He fights through the shock as he rushes to turn Tony's body to the side, clearing the airway for him. Still, his brain feels like it's powered down as he only processes each twitch and spasm from the man below him.

He calls out for help but no one comes.

Peter doesn't dare attempt to move or touch Tony, knowing that it was advised to give the person seizing their own space. He simply watches in horror at the sight before him.

He's never felt more useless in his life.

After a long minute, the seizing stops, and Tony falls limp like a rag doll. Peter presses his hand against his neck, searching for a pulse point just how he had the first day.

It's there, faint and fast paced, but there nevertheless.

Peter doesn't hold back on his sobs this time around. 

Fortunately, no other seizures occur, yet he's on edge for the rest of the night. A guard eventually arrives with dinner, though Peter doesn't even think of eating the food despite how hungry he's become.

Before the guard can shut the door, Peter asks him to stay. Maybe this guard was nicer than the rest, or maybe Peter truly looks pitiful as he stares up at the man, but for some reason he actually listens, walking forward until he stands in front of the cell.

"What do you want?"

There was a patronizing tone in his voice, but Peter takes the question in stride.

"Tony needs medical attention- he's not going to survive for much longer if this continues."

The guard only sighs in response, "you need to mind your business if you want to survive this."

"Can't you see that you're killing him?" Peter's tone has become desperate, and in any other situation he would have felt embarrassed by the way his voice cracks. He is well past the point of caring as he presses on.

"What's the purpose of all this? This can't be electroconvulsive therapy."

The guard examines the state of both Peter and Tony, internally debating something in his head. Peter expects him to leave then with no further explanation, but much to his surprise he doesn't.

"It's all for a good cause kid, you're too young to understand now but you will someday."

Peter shakes his head, utterly shocked by the words coming out of his mouth. "I can't think of any scenario where you would be the good guy."

"Sometimes good deeds come with bad consequences. The world isn't always black and white, you should know-"

"You're killing him."

The guard is stunned by Peter's outburst, and it takes all of his energy to keep the temper out of his voice.

"You can justify this however you want, but it doesn't change the fact that he won't last another day if this keeps going. He had a seizure."

Finally, this holds the guard's attention, and he peers down at Tony with curiosity in his eyes. "How many?"

"Three." The real number being one, but Peter lies with the intent to convince the guard to help them.

And apparently it works, because the guard nods and says, "I'll see what I can do."

He moves to leave once more, and this time Peter doesn't try to stop him. For the first time since Peter woke up in the cell, he begins to hope.