Chapter Seven

It's silent for the next couple hours, and neither Peter nor Tony look at one another as they sit on opposite sides of the cell. The tension could be spotted from miles away, and Peter tries not to think of the implication as he watches Tony restlessly fidget with his hands.

Peter had debated breaking the silence a couple times in the past hour alone, though he didn't know how to begin in a way that wasn't forced or unnatural.

As much as he didn't want to admit it to himself, he was hurt. While it wasn't Tony's fault that he couldn't remember who Peter was, a small, childish part of him wanted to blame the man entirely.

He realizes that this is unreasonable, and he berates himself for even thinking of it. At the same time, he avoids eye contact, not wanting to be the one to initiate conversation.

Eventually, the silence becomes suffocating on both of their ends, and Tony is the one to make the first move.

"I never learned your name."

Peter looks away from the crack in the wall, staring at Tony with hesitation. It was strange knowing so much about the man in front of him and the other knowing nothing in return. It was only fair that he shared some information about himself.

Still, he bites his tongue and stops himself from speaking out, though he isn't sure why. Maybe it was because Peter was still mad at Tony for letting this happen in the first place, but that wasn't true. He knew the real reason.

The child in Peter believed that if he shared his name, then Tony would suddenly remember who he was. A flash of recognition would cross his face and it would all go back to normal. The cruel joke would be over.

Of course, Peter realizes that this logic was ridiculous, and he doesn't bother to entertain the idea.

At least that's what he tells himself.

Peter ends up not responding, and to Tony's credit he does try again.

"Are we shy now?"

Peter looks away, staring once more at the crack in the wall. He wonders how long it's been there.

Tony sighs, "I have a wedding ring."

That is what inevitably grabs Peter's attention. His head shoots back to Tony and he's surprised to see the man holding up his wedding band, gazing at it with curiosity. 

"I didn't believe you about the daughter- still don't know if I do, in fact. I thought you were insane until I looked down and saw this little guy on my ring finger." Tony tosses it in Peter's direction, which he easily catches with one hand. "You wanna tell me how that got there?"

Peter examines the ring with gentle fingers, not meaning to ignore the question yet doing so anyway.
Tony sighs, finally seeming to give up. He leans his head back and continues to stare at the cell wall. It feels like a game of chess, with Tony waiting for Peter to make the next move.

He decides to move a pawn.

"Peter Parker."

Tony directs his attention back, seemingly shocked that he had gotten him to speak at all. He quickly erases the surprise off of his face, but Peter had already seen it.

"Well that's a fun name."

"Thanks."

There's an awkward pause in the conversation, then Tony moves a pawn as well.

"Where are you from Peter Parker?"

"Queens."

"Ah- a New Yorker, you like it there?"