Chapter Thirteen

Immediately, Peter sees white bandages that wrap around his forehead, and he's more than grateful that Tony was at least treated while he was out cold.

There's an uncomfortable beat of silence as everyone takes in one another, and it's not until Tony clears his throat that the spell is broken.

"Sorry to interrupt- FRIDAY informed us that Peter was awake and I had to see it for myself." Tony awkwardly laughs after that, and the action is so unlike him that Peter has to give a double-take.

May offers one as well before it resolves on her face, and then she's standing up to find her book off the floor. "I'll give you two a moment alone then."

She begins to walk out of the room before Peter grabs her hand last second, and while he knows it's a childish thing to do, he can't bring himself to care. He doesn't want to be in the room alone with Tony, or at least not when it still hurts to look him in the eyes.

As if reading his mind, May offers a sympathetic smile but still lets go, "I'll be back as soon as possible, I just need to use the bathroom."

Everyone knew that she was lying, but Peter allowed her leave anyway, realizing that there was no way to escape the conversation with Tony.

She walks out swiftly, and it's not until the door clicks shut that Tony begins to move towards the bed. He does it with hesitation, and the observation hurts Peter more than it should have.

He takes the chair that May had abandoned, and Peter wonders if he's imagining the way Tony stares down at him as if he were a dream.

This time, Peter is the one to break the silence. "How's the head?"

Tony offers a tight lipped smile in response, "lots of bruising that made Morgan cry when she first saw it, but other than I'd say it's healing well enough."

He stares back, not sure if he had heard him correctly, "Morgan?"

Luckily for Peter, Tony hears the question that he is too afraid to ask, "yeah kid, I remember now."

The news is shocking, and for some reason he can't bring himself to believe it. It seemed too good to be true, and good things never happen in Peter. He wasn't bitter about the fact anymore, he simply has come to accept it as a part of life.

Tony must see the skepticism in Peter's face, because he lets out a chuckle that holds no humor to it. Then, he moves his hand over so it's laying on top of Peter's.

"No one else knows about amnesia, so how about we keep it between you and me? No need to make everyone worry for nothing."

Peter nods as if his brain were on autopilot, "yeah, of course."

Tony nods as well, and he looks ready to say something but seemingly decides against it.

Instead he asks, "how much do you remember from the escape?"

And Peter doesn't remember much, only eyes that look at him with such hatred and insanity that Peter assumes he will find them again in his nightmares.

He decides to ignore the question and instead ask his own, "what ever happened with Annabelle?"

At the mention of her name, Tony's own eyes darken with fury.

"You don't have to worry anymore, I took care of it."

Peter suddenly feels sick to his stomach, "you didn't kill her, did you?"

"No, but I kinda wished I had."

He looks to see if Tony was joking, yet no humor reveals itself. Tony notices the stare and lets out a sigh, offering a real answer.