Chapter Eleven

Peter falls to the ground in an instant, and suddenly he's unable to register anything other than the overwhelming feeling of pain. The gunshot rings loud in his ears, somehow louder than the fire alarm, and he tries to cover them in a desperate attempt to block out the noise.

He gasps for air, yet every time he does so he feels a stinging sensation gather in his torso. He attempts in vain to sit up, but immediately falls down when black spots dance along his vision.

Peter can't say he's too surprised by the turn of events.

He had always known that he was going to die at a young age, it came with the territory of being a vigilante, but he never realized how truly terrified he was going to be when the time came.

He would like to think Ben was up there waiting for him, but now that he was on the brink of death he couldn't be so sure. The uncertainty scared him.

Peter wants to be brave more than anything; he wants to make Tony proud even if he doesn't remember who he is. However, he's only grateful that no one was around to witness his final cry, and he doesn't bother to contain his grief as the bullet wound overtakes his mind and thoughts.

He's actually happy that he was erased from Tony's memories, at least it was one less person to mourn over his death.

Peter closes his eyes, hoping to make his final moments as painless as possible. He tries to recite pi, but he can't get passed the fifth number.

He thinks that this is the most pain that he will ever experience, but Peter is quickly proven wrong when he feels a heel press down against his torso. He snaps his eyes open to see Annabelle actually smiling down at him as she steps on his wound.

He thinks he screams but he can't tell anymore.

There was an insane glint in her eyes that shakes Peter to the core, and he doesn't want this to be the last thing he sees before his death. He squeezes his eyes shut once more, wishing that this would all pass over, However, the action is fruitless as he feels hands begin to caress his face, and he can't help but look out in front of him.

Annabelle's face is closer than before, and she offers faux sympathy as she wipes the tears away from his cheeks. The hand that's gentle quickly becomes ruthless as he's slapped across the face.

"You ruined everything for me- do you know how much planning went into all of this. I was going to be rich, I was going to change the world and win Nobel Peace Prizes."

Annabelle starts to cry with Peter, and it causes her mascara to run down her face. His eyes follow the tears until he notices that her lips are a bright red color, and it reminds him of the blood that now stains the tiled floor. He finds it fitting.

Peter looks back up when Annabelle pushes a gun against his forehead.

If he could talk right now, he would have probably asked her to pull the trigger. Not because he wants to die, but he knows that he's moments away from it. As of now, he would do anything to eliminate the all consuming pain. 

"A part of me is tempted to shoot a bullet through your skull, officially end your life just like you ended mine."

Peter begins to nod, but she grabs onto his neck before he can do so, pulling him in a choke-hold. Then, she leans down and whispers into his ear.

"Though I think that would be too generous of a goodbye, don't you think sweetheart?"

Annabelle moves the gun so it traces over his jaw, then it moves down to his chest until it is also pressing on the gun wound.

Peter's shocked that he has any more tears left to cry.

She opens her mouth to say something else until her head snaps forward, and she all the sudden looks terrified as well.

Annabelle is up in an instant, kicking off her heels and leaving with a final message, "rot in hell."

With that, she sprints in the other direction, though Peter isn't exactly sure why. He tries to watch her leave but in an attempt to lift his head up all he sees is red.

Peter distantly wonders if he had gone insane as well, maybe he could blame it on the blood loss if so.

He knows that he has officially lost his mind when Iron Man enters his field of vision, and he stares with vague curiosity as Tony Stark materializes before his eyes.

"Peter."