viii

Elsa was by herself.

By herself on a swaying boat, in a room with a leaking ceiling.

And her hands were bound by rope.

Only... it wasn't any ordinary rope.

She couldn't use her powers.

Every time she tried, she could only feel it come up, only never out. Her magic danced under her skin, begging to get out, but it couldn't. She could tell it was the rope, each time she attempted to bring out her magic, the ropes grew warm and dug deeper into her skin.

Hans' brothers had gone for her first, she barely got any magic out before she was hit in the back of the head and was brought where ever she was now.

She knew it was an anchored boat. It only swayed back and forth. Back and forth. Back and forth. So much that she felt sick.

Where was she?

She tried her magic once again, drawing it up, but it shied away as soon as it hit the surface. The ropes let out a hot hiss.

Elsa cried out in defeat. "Help! Someone!"

Her shaky breaths came out in cold puffs, her mind racing. Where were the others?

"Help!" She yelled again. She kept yelling until her voice went hoarse.

There was nothing she could possibly do.

No hope.

Tears streamed down her face.

How could this have happened?

She was trapped from the world once again.

***

Elsa's hung was head, she was almost asleep, then a door opened, and light poured into the small room. She had to squint out the light before she could fully open her eyes.

"Rise and shine!" Hans' disgusting voice echoed in the tiny space.

Elsa spat at his feet.

"Hm... that's not very ladylike." He closed the door behind him. The room didn't go completely dark as he held a candle in his hand.

"What have you done with them?"

"Oh, I didn't come here to talk about your friends... I came here to talk about you. I'd like to ask you a few questions."

"No."

He laughed. "I haven't even asked anything yet."

"I'm not answering anything." She glared at him. She would not move an inch. She wouldn't lose to such a horrible excuse for a human being.

"I'll guarantee safety for your friends."

"What are you going to do to them?"

"Whatever I need in order to secure my conquering of your feeble kingdom."

"You'll never succeed. All of Arendelle already knows how horrible you are! And they'll never stand for it—"

"That's where you're wrong." He started pacing. "If I threatened the life of their beloved queen, they'll give in."

Elsa pushed down the thoughts of Hans hurting her sister. "A real king would never instill fear in his subjects in order to rule. You're a coward if you believe that. Fear is an emotion that never warrants real responses."

"This name-calling won't save your sister. Or your new friends. So I suggest you answer my questions, or they will reap the consequences."

Hans had definitely gotten smarter since the last time he tried to take Arendelle for himself. He knew Elsa had no sense of self-preservation, that she'd sacrifice herself in an instant for her family, that's why he hadn't threatened her specifically. If Elsa wanted to win this seemingly hopeless fight, she'd have to think even harder.

The ropes sizzled at her wrists.

"Fine." She swallowed dryly, trying to bury her fear. "On one condition: I get to ask you a question for everyone you ask of me."

Hans smiled a wicked grin. "Deal." He squatted down in front of Elsa. "You have to answer honestly."

"As long as you do."

"Where do your powers come from?"

So that's what he's after, Elsa thought, he wants power. "Ahtohallan."

"What-"

"It's my turn. Where did you get these ropes?"

"Ah, do you like them? I got them from a little acquaintance of mine, someone who is skilled in the strange occurrences of the world." He smiled. "My turn. What is Ah-tall-have-on?" 

"It's a magical glacier." His questions revealed nothing, Elsa had no problem telling him the truth and watching the confused look on his face. "What does your acquaintance want in Arendelle?"

"Who said that's why I was here?" Elsa knew he was lying. "How does one get to the glacier?" 

"On a magical water horse." 

Hans' face went slack. "Show me your wrists." 

"Why?" Elsa scrunched her face in confusion; she was so close to figuring out why Hans was there, why stop now?

"What did you do to the ropes? I know you're lying to me-" He sighed in frustration. 

Elsa laughed as everything she said had been the truth. Then she realized...

"Hm." Hans began pacing again. "What's your biggest fear?" 

"Uh..." Elsa could feel every part of herself growing tense. "Ducks..." 

Hans scowled. "I knew these were too good to be true-" 

"Fear." Her lip trembled. "Fear is my worst fear. I..." She closed her eyes shut as if it would stop her from thinking of it. Of how scared she used to be. Scared of herself. 

"Huh. Did you say a magical horse? How does this work?" 

***

Hans was working with somebody, somebody who knew their way around magic. Which meant that there was more magic out there in the world... but that wasn't important. Stay focused, she thought. 

This acquaintance wanted Elsa's magic... 

She took a deep breath, trying to stop her racing mind. With all she told Hans, where her sister and Honeymaren. Oh... Honeymaren. She shook her head. I just need a moment to breathe. 

The ropes slacked at her wrists. 

Her eyes flew open in surprise. But the ropes tightened up again. 

Focus, she thought again, clearing her mind. 

The ropes slowly slipped away, allowing Elsa to slowly remove her hands. She sighed in relief at her freedom. As she stood, she rubbed the burns on her wrists. 

"Now it's time to save my family."