Chapter 4

Curt sat in his truck for a long while after Joy closed the door. He'd been too stunned to hardly think, let alone drive.

So that, he thought to himself, was Joy Harper, all grown up. His mind jolted back to the good old days as memories, kind memories, the ones you want to get lost in because they're that good, teased him. He remembered them as kids chasing each other and running around, light laughter spilling from each of their cabins and filling all the spaces in between.

The years had been good to her and she was as beautiful as ever. He hadn't gotten a taste of that laughter tonight, but she had given him a glimpse of the light she used to possess with her smile. Sure, she was older and, given the lines on her face, she'd certainly had some trials. What he wouldn't give though to dive deeper and catch a glimpse of her soul. Clearly she didn't remember him, and honestly it was okay. It would give him some space to make a bit of a fresh start.

Suddenly a frown came across his face as he remembered that she'd fallen through a floorboard and hurt her ankle. It was almost as if the little lightbulb above his head had suddenly been switched on and was now illuminated. Maybe that could be his ticket in. He was, in fact, an orthopedic doctor.

Finally he cranked the engine and left. "I'll be back tomorrow, Joy." He whispered gently as the cabin disappeared in the night.

I was too lost in my own thoughts to realize that Curt didn't leave immediately. My brain spun all these theories as to who he was, or how my Uncle was acquainted with him. While I didn't know it that night, I would later find out that none of those scenarios even came close to what the truth was.

-----

Sunday morning dawned crisp and clear. I edged my way out the covers, only to find the air temperature inside the cabin had to be close to mirroring that of outside. I mentally pulled up my to do list and added an item: check heat. A shiver ran down my spine as I began to unstuff myself. I'd always been one to sleep in a ball, blankets cocooning me, keeping me much warmer than generally needed, but it was something that gave me comfort.

I began to pull my feet out from their cozy space, wrinkling my nose as I remembered my sore ankle. I'd stuffed a pillow under it overnight and it seemed that at least some of the swelling had subsided. As my legs dangled over the edge of the bed, I gently rotated the sore one. Yes, it was still sore, but it wasn't as swollen, nor did it hurt as badly. That all changed the second I tried to walk and I just about fell as I tried some weight on the joint.

Yay. Some vacation this would be.

Deciding that my ankle clearly wasn't up for much adventuring today, I pulled on some oversized sweats and headed toward the kitchen figuring I'd just hang out here. As the morning sun spilled onto the lake I paused. It was scenes like this that brought back some of the best memories of my time throughout the years at the lake.

Just then I heard a buzzing and noticed a bee hovering inside. I rolled my eyes, not amused. Another pest to deal with. It wasn't that I hated bees, it was more that I had an aversion to any flying creature. Especially small ones, that could work their way into places unknown to me.

I avoided him and made my way to the kitchen, pushing the start button on the coffeemaker and pulled ingredients out of the fridge for one of my signature omelets. It was then that I spotted the hole in the floor and was immediately transported back to last night. That handsome stranger. For some reason, Curt seemed vaguely familiar to me. I couldn't quite place why though.

A few minutes later I was sitting at the table quietly enjoying my breakfast when the darn bee buzzed by again. But he was gone before I barely thought another thing and I was far too mesmerized to realize.