Chapter 5

It was nearly mid afternoon by the time we finished at Curt's clinic. After a thorough exam, Curt determined that I had indeed fractured my ankle. The fracture itself was pretty small, but from his checking, Curt determined that I'd torn a ligament in conjunction with the fracture. So he'd gotten me a walking boot and some crutches. With the injury fresh and my pain level high, Curt opted for caution and wanted me to stay off my ankle as much as possible for the next few weeks.

Curt helped me up into his truck, stowing my crutches in the backseat. He slid in behind the wheel and we started in again. This time he turned on the radio, probably to ease some of the chemistry (or tension) we were clearly both feeling. Soft worship music came through the speakers. It was a song I had become acquainted with in my youth. I knew it by heart, and at first I didn't want to hear it. But as the gentle melody continued, weaving its way into my aching heart, I relaxed. The throbbing in my ankle also easing as my foot rested in the boot.

We turned onto Main Street, and as the music faded easing into the next song, Curt cleared his throat ready to speak. Thinking I was oblivious, Curt's stare made its way over me as I sat in the passenger seat. "How's the ankle?" Unconsciously I looked down, wrinkling my nose at the idea that I wasn't supposed to walk. Eventually I met Curt's eyes. "It's okay." I sighed as I reconsidered. "Better now." I admitted, softening my expression. "Thank you for all your help earlier." Curt looked back over at me, tearing his eyes away from the road for a moment, a soft smile gracing his face. He was so handsome when he smiled. "I'm glad I could help. I guess God knew you'd need some assistance this week." I nodded in silent agreement, turning my head to not have to look at his sweet face again.

We drove through town, my eyes settling on the cute little cafe we used to eat at when I was young. "It's still here!" I exclaimed as Curt spun his head around to see what I was so excited about. A warm smile spread across his face as he saw the joy I was emitting.

"Are you talking about Wilson's Cafe back there?" Joy turned to face him, amusement dancing in her eyes. If he hadn't known better it was almost as if she'd been transported nearly thirty years prior. The delight in her eyes seemed like that of a child, not one of a late thirties woman. She nodded, voice barely audible.

"Do you want to go in and grab a bite?" Curt offered. "Dressed like this?" I laughed, almost uncharacteristically, and certainly much louder than normal. It was nearly a cackle, so unlike me I immediately became self conscious. And yet, it felt so good to let loose and laugh. It was something I hadn't done in far too long.

By the time I'd finished laughing, Curt had parked the truck and was staring at me. I breathed deeply and did my best to compose myself. "Sorry, got the better of myself there." I sighed. "This whole thing..." I gestured to my outfit and well, basically my whole body. "This is just so strange and I think it's all just hitting me and the only way I'll make it through is to laugh. Because if I don't laugh, I'll cry and I'll pass on that today." I sucked in a shuddering breath.

Curt reached for my shoulder. "I get that. Some days you just have to laugh." He smiled, hand still touching my shoulder. "You okay?" I sniffed, cheeks heating, I met his eyes. "Yeah. I am." Right then my stomach let out a rumble, like I hadn't fed it in days. Another light chuckle. Curt laughed. "Are you sure you don't want to eat?" I bit my lip. Admitting I was wrong was not fun, nor a strong suit of mine. I lowered my head, a smile on my lips. "You know, I think I would." "Okay." He smiled affirmatively. With that, he was grabbing my crutches and we were off to the cafe for a late lunch.

I sat, taking in the familiar atmosphere and poured over the menu. Stepping inside the space was setting foot into a time warp. I swore the inside had not changed in the years I'd been away. The decor was well worn, but so sweetly familiar it was like stepping back into those memories. I had to shake my head slightly to pull myself back to reality.