II

The ice was cool against my back. It stung my bare skin in just the right way. I loved the burn of ice and the way it made me feel. Even for just a few moments. Tilting my head down I let my cheek redden as it rested there, and my eyes wandered the walls of the Olympic sized rink.

No one was here. The rink wasn't technically open yet, but Winston; the old man that ran this place, had a soft spot for letting me in before the chaos joined the ice.

As I lay in the centre of the rink, I let my fingers wander in the grooves of the ice that Geraldine had missed. That's what we had named our ice resurfacer for no reason other than the large machine looked like a Geraldine.

Voices and muddled shuffling feet evoked a groan from my lips as they got louder and louder until the bang of the rink doors opening finally forced my eyes to open in a glare that I took out on the impossibly high ceiling.

I didn't have to look to know it was the God's of the town. Their hoots and banter and clanging of sticks gave it away. The noise began to die down as they made their way to the locker rooms to change for their morning session. They would be back later after the figure skating session for their afternoon practice too. Closing my eyes again happily I prepared to rest for another couple minutes while they changed.

My wish was not met.

"Hey Oliver."

Leonardo Boreas. I would know his voice anywhere. Anyone with a sensible mind would. It was not a voice easy to forget. And yes, his last name really was Boreas. Fitting as he was the God of ice in this town too. What an odd idea the Greek Gods must have had to place one of their own in a town like this.

"Leonardo." I acknowledged with my eyes still closed and head against the ice. If I had looked up, I would have noticed his stare.

"Enjoying the rink, I see."

"You see right."

"You should probably wear something. You don't want to get sick." He was referring to the fact that I was shirtless with only a pair of thin skating tights on my bottom half. I didn't really get cold though. I was always numb, so it was a welcomed feeling.

"Careful Leonardo," I opened my eyes and tilted my head his way, "You almost sound like you care."

His smirk caught my attention immediately, but I kept the cool demeanour.

"Not really. Just don't want anything spreading to my lads."

I was about to answer when a shout came from the locker rooms.

"Leo! Come see this! Elijah's got..." I didn't hear the rest as I watched Leo turn away far to gracefully for a hockey player and glide towards the summoning voice. 

After a few moments of guilty admiration I forced myself up and let the dangerous blades beneath my feet carry me away from the only place I could call home and towards a place that only served as an address for legal documents. 

Our house was slightly run down but not enough for the snow and ice to creep its way in. Mum would never allow it to go too far into those depths. She couldn't afford us a perfect home, but she made damn well sure that the bungalow we had was as pristine as it could be. The metal gate creaked as I placed my weight upon it and jumped over. Opening it made more noise and I didn't want attention as I made my way into the house. 

The shoes I had left in disarray on my rush out earlier were now wiped down and placed in perfect parallel. My eyes wandered over them hesitantly before I continued onwards. 

Dad lay asleep on a plastic covered sofa. His subconscious recognised my presence and he turned over in his sleep causing a dissatisfying noise as his skin tried to slide on plastic. 

Continuing onward I walked into my room with a satisfying breath escaping my lungs before a sharp intake struck me and my skates were on the wooden floors with a bang. 

"Oliver Finnigan!" Mum cried in horror as she leapt forward to inspect the damage. My hands covered my face in frustration as I leant my head back in a silent scream. 

"For fuck sake." The words escaped under my breath. Did she have to wait in my room like that? Luckily Mum didn't hear as she occupied herself by attempting to cradle a section of flooring. 

"Oliver! Look at this! The blade has made a dent. Oh this just won't do."

"Mum, it's in my room. I don't mind it." I assured her as calmly as I could. The dent was barely even there. Just a scratch really.

"But if guests come over..." I felt like asking what guests but moved on swiftly.

"I'll cover it with my rug."

"But we will know it's there and..."

"Mum," I sighed as I leaned down in front of her and held her hands guiding her upright, "I'll cover it with my rug."

"Well ok then darling. Ok. Ok. I'll leave you be to rest then. You have practice at 2:30. I'll wake you up before then." 

I nodded at her despite knowing I wouldn't be sleeping and sat patiently on my bed as I watched her turn my light switch...

On.

Off.

On.

Off.

On.

Off.

Once she had padded away to tend to my Dad I slinked my way through the darkness to the switch and turned it on again, brightening my room, and illuminating the mirror on my door reflecting a tall disgruntled curly haired and freckled boy with one too many thoughts lurking within. 

I smiled at myself in the mirror.

"Today will be a good day." I promised.