xxii. not the first time

。・:*:★,。・:*:・☆     LILAC EVANS

。・:*:,。・:*:・☆ LILAC EVANS

     AFTER OUR SHORT RENDEZVOUS,
Spencer and I returned to Laurie's room to chat some more.

But when we entered, the hospital bed was completely empty.

"Oh my god." I muttered, spinning to Spencer, who looked as equally shocked.

"Maybe the doctors took her somewhere—" Spencer said, the two of us bolting out the doors. We found her nurse in the hallway and asked if she was taken anywhere for surgery.

"No. She doesn't have anything planned for today." The nurse replied with a curious look. "Why?"

"She's missing." I told her, and the woman's eyes widened.

I nudged Spencer in the arm. "What if she's with Loren?" I asked him with panic in my eyes.

The two of us exchanged shocked looks before taking off running down the hallway. My heart fell with dread and my mind immediately travelled to the worst scenario possible. I was supposed to be with Laurie this whole time, I should've known leaving was dumb of me even if I wasn't her "supervisor."

When we reached Loren's hospital room, Spencer swung the door open.

Everything happened so fast that it didn't even feel real. I heard a loud gunshot pierce through my eardrums, the sound making my entire body freeze up with fear. What broke me out of it was when I saw Spencer's body jerk backwards and how he stumbled against the door frame while holding his shoulder.

I saw a glimpse of blood that made my heart race with panic, but I was just too stunned to even register the fact that he had just gotten shot. I realized what had happened when I looked ahead to me to Laurie, who was holding the gun. My heart fell even more when I saw that the unsub was out of his handcuffs and on his feet.

I heard Spencer yell 'get back!' to me, but his voice sounded so distant amongst the other loud thoughts in my mind. My frantic thoughts slowly sorted themselves out, though, and in this moment I realized something. It was as if time had completely slowed down as I looked to Spencer, noticing him holding his right shoulder. He was right handed.

I looked back at Laurie, who looked about ready to shoot again, and then to the unsub. He didn't have a gun.

My brain made the decision so quick that I felt like I had no control over it. As if someone was controlling me, I reached down and grabbed Spencer's gun that sitting at his hip. My fingers curled around the cold metal, sending a sickening feeling of nostalgia through me. Our unsubs didn't notice my action and I shoved Spencer out of the way, aiming the gun at Laurie and pulling the trigger.

As the bullet ripped through her stomach, I heard a strangled shriek, one that triggered the recollection of that same sound that once had been engraved in memory. My hand shook violently in front of me, the mixture of adrenaline, fear, and horror all hitting me at once.