chapter 5: 'you can't please everyone'

"Just because you don't want to see Laurie doesn't mean you can't come and have fun with me, Meg and Mr

"Just because you don't want to see Laurie doesn't mean you can't come and have fun with me, Meg and Mr. Brooke now does it?" Jo spiralled, helping Meg in her search for the missing glove.

"It would be weird," Abby stated. "plus, I still have to teach Beth a new song, and I don't plan on putting it off."

"Come in Abbs! This is a play we're talking about! Don't let some boy ruin your fun!" Jo exclaimed, throwing her hands up in the air as she checked behind a cushion for the glove.
"You know what Meg just take my glove!" She gave in, chucking the piece of clothing across the room.

"It's not that I don't want to see the play, it's just, I felt so awful rejecting him Jo, I really did, but I have to keep my options open, for Aunt Marches sake." Abby sighed in defeat. "You're just going to repeat everything I say to Teddy aren't you?"

"Consider it already in my memory." Jo chuckled. "And also, you guys are on better terms then before, so why not quickly get ready now?"

Abby stood from the window sill and went to her set of draws. "Consider this a favour." She said, going through her dresses whilst Jo jumped for joy.

"All nations rejoice! For Abigail March had finally given in!" Meg exclaimed, tying her silk shawl around her petite self.

...

"I don't want chords! I want to go to the theatre!" Amy shouted.

"No! I think you'd hate to poke yourself in where you are not wanted! We already have to deal with dull Mr. Brooke." Jo countered, hastily putting on her coat.

"I like him, he's kind." A smitten looking Meg said.

"I'll pay for myself!"

"You will not come!" Jo retaliated.

"I'm sorry, my sweet, but Jo's right. Next time." Abby said to the young girl, having simply no influence whatsoever.

"Come Meg and Abby, stop petting her!" Jo mumbled, swiftly opening the door.

"You'll be sorry for this Jo March! You will! You'll regret this!"

...

The following evening was rather straight forward, Meg talked to Mr. Brooke, Mr. Brooke conversed with Meg, Jo sat in silence and Laurie and Abby tried not to acknowledge each other.

"Excuse me Jo, i've to use the restroom." Abby whispered to her sister in the theatre, who responded by tucking away her legs to the side, allowing her to walked through the cramped isle of chairs.

Abigail rushed out to the foyer and into the bathroom, where she splashed her face with water and gripped the sides of the sink.

In an odd fashion, she walked back out to the deserted foyer and paced back and forth, pinching the bridge of her nose in doing so.

"You seem stressed." A voice called from the corner of the room, a slumped over Laurie was leaning against the wall. "You know, I never took you for a person to bottle up emotions, I guess I was wrong."

"I'm just trying to please everyone." Abby spluttered, choking on her tears. "And seeing you isn't helping."

"Why is that?"

"Because you and Aunt March are the main things that are making me stressed, I need to go to Europe with Aunt and meet a husband and love him but the only thing stopping me is you." Abigail said, exasperated. "It's just, I've spent my whole life living for others, and the thought of not doing that! It's terrifying me Teddy!"

"Maybe it's time for change, even if it's scary." The Laurence boy murmured, coming closer to the girl.

Abby wrapped him in a hug.

"We can't keep doing this." She whispered.
"I don't know how many times you'll have to confess for me to come around, but I wish it would come sooner."

"I would die trying mon ange." Laurie said, stroking her hair. "Think about what you want and live a little, you'll do that for me won't you?"

Abigail nodded into his chest before pulling away.

"So we're good?" The girl asked the tall boy.

"Of course."

...

"Have any of you seen my writing." Jo asked, walking down the stairs.

"No."

"I'm sorry, No."

"Have you checked the attic?"

Jo just sighed and turned to her youngest sister. "Amy... you've got it."

"No I haven't."

"That's a lie."

"Fine! I burnt it up! I burnt your book! I told you i'd make you pay and I did!" Amy yelled at the older girl.

"You wicked girl! You wicked, wicked girl! I can never write it again! I'll never forgive you for as long as I live!" Jo shouted, running to the upstairs bedroom.

...

Abby could hear the attempts at apologies coming from the other room, but thought it would be best to stay out of it, resorting to the attic, where she stared out the window to the mansion over the road.

Nothing would change the thing she and Laurie had, but it felt like she was being pulled in so many different directions, the sensible side of her wanted to go with her Aunt and find a stable life for herself, whilst the childish and adventurous side of her wanted to spend every last childhood minute she had left with her young love.

But one thing she had learned from her Teddy, was that you can't please everyone.