chapter 7: 'calm before the storm'

It was a sunny day, sunny enough that everyone knew Abigail March had made a promise, for the ring on her finger shone brightly in the sunlight

Abby has already noticed the eldest Vaughn sibling, Kate, looking at her with a curious air, which made the young girl feel incredibly inferior of the british family.

"This is Fred Vaughn," Laurie motioned to a young man. "And his sister Kate, of course you know Mr. Brooke, may I introduce Meg, Jo, Beth, Amy and Abby March." He said, taking Abigails hand and squeezing it.

Once they started setting up their activities Amy made a point to talk to the young man, by the name of Fred. "Remember the name Amy March, I'm going to come find you one day in London." She said, shaking his hand with a tight grip.

"Oh, I certainly will!" He smiled as the two started wandering down the beach.

"Hello, I believe you are Abigail?" The eldest Vaughn sibling said with her british accent.

"Oh yes, Kate?"

The older girl nodded promptly, before inviting Abby to take seat next to her on the sand.

"I can't help but notice that gorgeous ring." Kate beamed. "Where did you get it?"

"Oh it's my mother's promise ring actually." Abby replied, trying to sound as proper as possible.

"She handed it down to you?"

"No, you see Laurie over there." Abby asked, Kate nodded. "He gave it to me."

"So you are to be married some day?" Kate mused, observing the young boy who was running and playing with Beth and her dolls.

"I suppose so, he only gave it to me a couple of days ago at the debutante ball." Abby said, looking smitten.

"Hello my ladies!" Laurie called to the two girls before offering his hands to both of them. "I don't suppose you would be up for dancing?"

Kate quickly declined and Abby nodded excitedly, taking his hand as they danced around to the sounds of the sea and children's laughter.

Slowly but surely the couple swayed away from the crowd.

"How do you feel mon ange?" Laurie asked quizzically, spinning the young girl around in doing so.

"Happy, very happy." She smiled. "This is rather fitting isn't it?"

"How so."

"Well, im dancing with you, Teddy, that's how we met."

"Darling our children's children will be dancing as we do." He said with a smile, pulling Abby into a hug.

"I love you."

Abby was shocked at first, but soon responded to her young love.

"I love you too."

Calm had encompassed the two, but the storm of growing up was yet to come.

(a/n sooorrryyy for the short chapter, act one is now done! on to act two!)