chapter 11: 'proposals'

Abigail twisted her ring around her finger, a new habit she had became quite fond of, she spun the promise ring around her finger when she was stressed, or puzzled

This was one of those times, she was staring at the newly hung christmas decorations on the wall, were they hung too high? or too low?

A question she was yet to have answered as Meg and Jo were in town, getting groceries, Marmee and Hannah were up to their elbows in flour in the kitchen, Beth and Joseph were collecting fire wood and Laurie was doing lessons with a tutor other than Mr. Brooke. Amy was sat on the couch with her mirror, constantly prodding her nose, Abby didn't think she was the best person to ask anyway, Amy only had artistic talent and wouldn't help dress the house for festivities even if her life depended on it.

Abby sighed, knowing one person wasn't accounted for,

yet another year without father for christmas.

Of course she was happy to have christmas with  all the March's new friends they had made this year, but her heart ached for father, not so much for Mr. Brooke, but she knew there was someone in the house who longed for both.

Everyone expected Meg and John to be together, everyone expected John to ask for her hand soon, the only question now was when.

The constant silent expecting made Abby wonder if that's what her family and friends thought of Laurie and herself.

She shook the thought of it.

Maturity had really taken a toll on the March household, with Meg expecting a marriage proposal, Jo was focusing on her writing more than ever, Amy was longing to see Fred and Beth was starting to become smitten with Joseph for gods sake!

Abby thought she should expect nothing less from Laurie, his grandfather wouldn't want it any other way, so she best be ready,

even if it meant growing up.

"We're back!" A familiar voice beamed from the door.

Joseph and Beth strolled in, arms linked.

"The wood is just outside, shall I get some Marmee?" The brunette haired boy called to the kitchen.

Joseph Clermont had really become part of the family over the past few months, at first everyone was being overly nice because of him being Beth's 'saviour', but recently, they were starting to realise how lovely he was, even Laurie, who was quite protective over 'his girls', had come to like the boy.