03 | mason

I hopped out of my truck and was immediately hit with a gust of wind. It sent shivers down my back and I put my hands in the pockets of the navy colored windbreaker I had on.  

I could see Reyna waiting for me on the sidewalk outside the doors. We made eye contact and she excitedly waved.

"Good morning!" She called, a big smile plastered on her face.

"Good morning," I replied, shivering.

"It'll warm up later on, don't worry." We started heading inside. I could feel my heart start beating faster. I was so nervous to meet new people, i'd never been the new girl before. "I'm gonna introduce you to my best friend, Brandy. I think you'll like her, she's super cool,"

"Nice, nice,"

We then made it inside, and nervousness hit me even more. There were a lot more kids here than I expected.

"What up HOEEEEE!" I heard a female voice yell. Reyna jerked around.

"Hiii," She called back to the girl that was behind us. This girl was a bit shorter than me and had dark, curly hair.

"Is this Jess?" The girl asked.

"Oh yeah, " Reyna turned to me, "Jess, this is Brandy. Brandy, this is Jess."

"Hey," She said with a smile as she shook my hand, "It's nice to meet ya,"

"Same to you," I greeted.

She laughed,  "It's refreshing to have a new person around here. You get sick of seeing a lot of these dumb people everyday," 

Reyna patted my back, "I'm gonna take her to get her schedule and then show her around, I'll cya 4th hour, " 

"Alright, I gotta head to the locker room anyway. Cya," With that, Brandy turned and disappeared into a swarm of people. 

I followed Reyna towards what looked like the office. I noticed I was getting some stares from people, which was understandable. I was a different, new face.

She went up to a lady at the desk, "This is Jessica Axson," She pointed to me, " Mr. Miller gave me permission to show her around before the first bell. Can we get her schedule?" 

"Of course, let me get that for you," The lady then began looking through some papers, "By the way, Jessica, I'm Mrs. Johnson. Welcome, I hope you enjoy it here," She smiled as she handed me a piece of paper. 

"Thank you," I took the paper and examined it. 7 classes total, and it said my lunch was at 11:15.  

As Reyna and I went into the hallway, she asked, "What's your first class?" 

"Uh, Chemistry with John Marks." 

"Nice, that's on the second floor. I'll show ya," 

I followed her to all of the classes I had. She also showed me where my locker and library was. The school was pretty up-to-date and modern, the complete opposite of my old school. The lockers were in pristine condition, the A/C worked, and the desks in the classrooms weren't covered in writing. 

By the time we were done, the first bell rang, which told us we had 5 minutes to get to our first class. I got there before everyone else did.

"Jessica, your desk will be in the far right corner, " Mr. Marks informed me. I thanked him and went over to set my stuff down. Within seconds, kids started coming into the room. I just sat there in silence, watching everyone go to their assigned desks.

A few of them didn't notice me, but most of them glanced over at me before they sat down. I just politely smiled, not really knowing what else to do. I can be at shy at times when it comes to people I haven't met before.