Chapter 13

"You know, that's really weird," Reyna mentioned while taking a drink of coffee.

Brandy agreed, "Yeah, if it wasn't so bad, why'd he get so angry?"

"I don't know guys. That's what I'm trying to figure out," 

The three of us were sat at a little cafe in town. Lucas had taken me here a couple weeks prior and the food was really good.

"Did you try to ask him?" Brandy questioned.

"No, if you saw his face, you wouldn't have either," 

"Maybe some things are better left unsaid,"  As usual, Reyna gave her words of wisdom. 

The waitress came back with our change and receipt.

"I hope you guys had a nice meal," She smiled, setting them down on the table and walking away.

"How much should we tip?" Brandy asked.

"We all give 5?" Reyna said, reaching into her wallet.

All of us tossed a 5 dollar bill onto the table  and stood up to leave.

"Thanks for having breakfast with me, guys," I thanked them as we walked to the doors.

"Of course," Reyna and Brandy said in unison.

Brandy opened her car door, "You better hope he's in a better mood today,"

I cocked my head when I opened mine too. I felt like I had something to do today, but I just couldn't remember. My dad didn't make plans today... neither did Lucas...

Reyna could tell I was confused, "Baseball tryouts, Jess,"

shit.

 "What time is it?" I asked, frantically getting into my truck and starting it.

"10:16," Brandy called as I looked at the clock on my radio.

Varsity tryouts started at 10:20. I was going to be late.

"I'll see you guys later!" I shouted out my passenger side window as I pulled out of the cafe and onto the road.  I can't believe I forgot, I was usually really good at remembering  plans.

I guess I had just been thinking a little too much about the party. It had been a week and Mason was still acting a little different. I think it was on his mind too.

I glanced at the clock again as I pulled in. 10:24. I would be lying if I told you I didn't speed. 

There was some middle aged woman sitting at a makeshift desk who greeted my when I entered the school.

"Are you here to try out?" She asked me, shuffling some papers.

I shook my head, "No, no I'm not. Im here for someone who is," 

"Baseball's in gymnasium A, softball in B," 

I thanked her and went straight to gym A. Our school was so big, we had two of them. It worked out during wrestling and basketball season and both would be in use.

I pushed open one of the heavy doors and was exposed to a massive amount of guys. There were kids of all grades in here trying out. I scanned the gym for Mason, and gave a sigh of relief when I saw him waiting in line for the batting cage. 

He was standing in a group of guys. He didn't notice me standing there. He was smiling, laughing. I hadn't seen him do that in a few days.  

I stood there with my arms crossed comfortably just under my chest.  I had always wondered what it was like to have that many friends. But, being a star baseball player, I guess you'd never wonder.