16 // betrayal

CLARA, ACCOMPANY JACOB ONCE HE LEAVES THE LOOP. WE WILL ATTACK TODAY. BE READY, THERE WILL BE VIOLENCE. Barron's last letter said. It was in the handwriting of her previous ymbryne. Clara couldn't help but stop herself from crying quietly. This is it. The moment I'm here for. She took her brown coat and hid the letter inside.  She made sure to leave something for Enoch on her desk since she knows he'll look for her.

Recently, Miss Avocet, a friend of Miss Peregrine,  got her loop raided by Barron and none survived but her. They were both having tea inside Miss Peregrine's office. She rushed downstairs, to find Jacob ready to leave.

"Jake!" She called him, "Leaving so soon? Let me walk you to the loophole." Clara offered, "It's dangerous out there. You heard what Miss Avocet said." She reasoned.

"You can't leave the loop. I'm the only one who can." He told her, she could feel his discomfort in the ambiance, "It's okay, I'll be fine." He knows she's up to something.

"No, I insist! I'm not leaving, just walking you until the loop. It's been a while since we've talked too, don't you think?" Clara told him. Jacob sighed, "Alright, Clara. Come on." I'm sorry for this.

✧ ✧ ✧

  ENOCH WAS LOOKING FOR CLARA, BUT SHE WAS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND. Enoch arrived to the kitchen and asked, "Olive, seen Clara anywhere?" Olive turned to him and smiled, "Enoch, hi!" She greeted him

He scoffed, "Answer the question, Olive. Have you seen Clara?" He repeated himself. 

"No." Olive answered, "I haven't." She looked down. Enoch was about to leave when she said, "Why are you always looking for her? I'm here for you, too, you know?" 

Enoch turned around to look at her, "You're not Clara, and I think that explains it." He said.

Tears were forming on Olive's face, she walked closer to him, "What does she have that I don't?"

"Everything," Enoch said truthfully, "She has everything that you don't." With that, Olive smashed her lips against him. He felt shocked, froze for a moment, and pushed her away. "Why would you--"

"Because I love you! I love you and you don't see it!" Olive was sobbing now, "Why wouldn't you pick me? Am I not good enough for you?" She asked him, anger and pain in her tone.

"You're good enough, Olive. But not for me." He told her, "You may love me, but I love Clara. I really do. If you really do love me, you'll let me be with her. Right?" Loving Clara might be his best decision yet, but realizing it now that she's missing was not good timing. 

Olive wiped her tears but said nothing. "We need to find Clara, she's in trouble, she needs--" Before he could say something, he was knocked out. Everything went pitch black for him. 

✧ ✧ ✧

  "I KNEW IT, YOU WERE LYING ALL ALONG!" Emma said to Enoch's unconscious body, huffing after she swung a frying pan over his head. "I don't care if Prescott's in trouble, you failed our plan!" She added.

"Emma--? What? Why would you do this to him?" Olive cradled Enoch's body, luckily there was no blood anywhere, "What plan? I don't understand." She added. 

"We have to tell Miss Peregrine that Clara's a fucking traitor. I knew it!" Emma said in anger. 

"I can't leave him here, not when he's unconscious!" Olive protested, "Go on your own!" 

"Leave him here! He's an idiot who fell for the suspicious bitch!"

"How dare you say that to him, Emma? Shame on you!"