- 2 -

"Huh? What?" He asked confused, staring at my hand that snatched away his bottle.

"Alec," My voice was impatient yet soft, "Marry me." 

His mouth dropped open, and I stared at him, my expression unchanging. I watched him as he struggled to speak, repeatedly opening and shutting his lips. His face had gone red just like mine had moments ago, only I think he was much redder.

I threw the bottle that I'd rudely snatched from him over my shoulder, and closed the distance between us. Lacy was right. I had to be the one to ask. This boy was fast when it came to starting something but needed to be the one to keep up that momentum. 

I held his face between my hands. The air blew over our bodies and the setting sun reflected its orange rays, casting shadows on our faces. 

I remembered the big speech he made before and thought it was only appropriate for me to do the same. I owed it to him. He needed to know he wasn't the only one who thought he was lucky.

"Alec," I took a deep breath, "For the past few years, we faced some really serious problems with our relationship. Your ex, my parents, the entire long-distance thing with our colleges... it hasn't been an easy 6 years, but it was so worth it. What I'm asking today has been overdue since that time I was in the hospital.

"I still remember like it was yesterday. The car crash was horrifying and scary and terrible and all things bad. But you made it better. Everyone was walking around on eggshells around me – Lacy stopped talking to me normally, my family always looked guilty whenever they saw me... but you, Alec, always stayed the same. You'd kiss me when you visited me even though I looked worse than a zombie, and you'd complain and joke and hide under the bed, refusing to leave even when the visiting hours were over. If that time has taught me anything, it is that being hit by cars is fucking painful and that I fucking love you.

"I'm not a good girlfriend, and I know I can be insensitive and mean sometimes. It's hard for us to understand each other and it's hard to stay together. But we did it, Alec," A fresh set of tears formed in my eyes as I gazed into Alec's own wet eyes, "We aced this relationship. And I love how things are, but I want to marry you. I want to be Mrs. Smith even though that's such a boring name. And I want you to be my husband." 

I heard him gasp, with surprise, emotion, and probably also for air. But before he could say anything, I leaned in and kissed him on his lips. My hands shifted from his face to the back of his head, as I slightly thread my fingers through his hair. I closed my eyes, moving my mouth, and experiencing the feeling of his tears on my cheeks. 

When we broke away, I was out of breath and he had turned into a red, hot octopus. 

"Oh God," He pushed his hair out of his green eyes, staring at me, "Dammit, Harper... why did you — ugh."

My heart dropped at the expression on his face. He looked... almost pissed. I swallowed, looking away, rubbing my hands on my bare thighs. It was then that I remembered, we were still on the beach. In our swimsuits. And I just proposed. And probably got rejected by the way he was acting.

Oh God was right. But was the ugh required too?

I got up from the straw mat, picking up my t-shirt, and putting it on. I took a deep breath, my emotions swirling out of control. But I knew what my priorities were. 

"It's alright, Alec," I said slowly, making sure I sounded 'okay,' "I get it, you're not ready for that yet. I can wait. You don't have to feel compelled to do what I want. Let's go back to the resort for now." 

I turned, trying to reign back the tears I felt behind my eyes. I started walking towards the road, where we could find a taxi or something. 

Harper, don't cry. I said to myself. You love him and that's all that matters. Marriage is just a social construct. You're not normal, to begin with, so it's okay. Dating someone for 6 (and more than half) years did not mean that you needed to be labeled husband and wife. 

Suddenly, a hand grabbed my arm.

"—per! Harper, wait!" Alec was shouting. Wait, had he been calling me? I didn't notice...

"Dammit, Harper," He rushed his fingers through his hair again and covered his face with both his hands while shaking his head, "That's not what I meant. I didn't mean you. It's me. I'm ugh."

"What?" I blinked, suddenly feeling hope in my throat. I shook my head. False hope is dangerous. I shouldn't expect much. 

"I'm sorry if I looked annoyed," He continued, "It's just that if you'd only waited... I wanted to be the one to propose. Y'know, in the old-fashioned way, by leaning down on one knee while we're surrounded by candles and rose petals and there's an orchestra playing some music in the background?"

A crease appeared between my eyebrows, "What." It wasn't even a question, really. 

"And-And I wanted to be wearing a suit," He continued, "And I wanted us to have a lavish 5-star dinner after. And I wanted it to be... perfect. For you." 

The crease deepened and I blinked, slightly shaking my head, "I–"

"Come on," He threw his hands in the air, "Don't say you don't want that. I read it in the same magazines that you purposely left in my condo. That... page... about the perfect way to propose or whatever."

Suddenly, I felt a hot anger bubble in my chest. It was surreal. So now he remembers those magazines. What about moments ago? Did he realize that I was excited at first because I thought he was proposing? And then he humiliated me like that.

"Look, you—" I started but he cut me off again.

"God you are the most impatient woman in this world. If you'd just waited for some time, I would—"

"Stop cutting me off!" I screamed, cutting him off, "If I'd just waited, then what. Would you have asked me to marry you or something? I mean, it took you 6 years to ask me to move in—"

"YES!" He shouted, pointing at me. He looked just as annoyed as I felt, "Dammit, you're so impatient you wouldn't even let me finish! I was gonna propose tonight!"

"Yeah, you were gonna pro—" I started, my voice laced with sarcasm when I understood the words he had said and which I was repeating. My eyes widened and I felt my chest rising up and down, "Y-Y-You were gonna... p-pr-propose?"

"Yes, woman. Listen to me sometimes," He threw his head back staring at the sky. 

"T-Then... dinner was...?" I blinked, still unable to understand what the hell was going on.

"I was gonna repeat that entire scenario I just described. That cliche proposal. But you ruined it..." Contrary to his words, Alec now looked happy. He was smiling and I could see his dimples. He moved in towards me, lacing his hands around my waist, and joining them at the small of my back, "It sucks for my wallet, but my heart can't be more full. Thank the God you were the one to propose."

"Alec..." I can't describe the emotion with which I called his name. It was like at that moment, I was incapable to say much of anything at all.

"You would have beat the one I planned any day," He whispered, our noses touching as we stared into each other's eyes. His green to my blue. 

"I love you," He said, "And I'd love to marry you."

He leaned in, joining our lips. I closed my eyes.

Love

It was pure love that I felt in that instant. 

.... And that was the story of my flop-gone-hit story of being proposed to. Or rather, of proposing.