1 | new school

a r a b e l l a

I wake up to the blaring sound of my alarm. I cover my head with a pillow as my head hurts instantly.

"Ella!" My mother yelled. "You better be up getting ready for school you don't want to be late for your first day."

I wish I could be late and avoid school all together.

I stretch my arms behind my head, my muscles crack while my feet touch the cold hardwood floor as I get dressed.

I hate that my mom and I moved to a new town and I have to attend a new high school. Change was something I never dealt with well. My mom got offered a job that payed more money at a business firm here in California.

We used to live in North Carolina for practically my whole life. It was familiar. But now I don't know what to expect. I didn't have any friends back home because I could never bring myself to talk to people. My social anxiety always got in the way of me being myself. I would constantly overthink whether people were looking at me or making fun of me. So the friend thing just never happened.

My mom kept pestering me to go to a therapist for years but just the thought of telling an adult about my feelings terrified me.

Since the weather was sunny and humid in California I decided to wear a nice white blouse, loose light wash blue jeans, and a pair of white sneakers.

7:35 am

I walk downstairs and say bye to my mom and head out the front door. I am almost 18 and I haven't gotten my drivers license yet. Driving also made me anxious. Every time I would get behind to wheel my hands would seize up.

It was only a 7 minute walk before I reach Valley Shore High. I keep my head down, fiddling with the edge of my shirt as I walk into the front office.

"Hello young lady may I help you?" A nice woman said sitting behind the counter.

"H-hi, my name is A-arabella Lane. I am a new student and I would like to get my s-schedule please." Curse my stuttering.

She hands me a white sheet of paper smiling brightly. I quietly say thank you and turn the door handle to leave.

My legs were shaking slightly as I made my way out into the hallway. I hear the bell ring suddenly which makes me jump.

The hall was nearly empty. I look down at my schedule. I had four classes: chemistry, algebra, AP literature, and art. Yes I love art. My eyes move over to the right of the page. Locker number 325.

I continue walking for what seems like forever until I hear male voices laughing. I look up to see two guys both quite attractive yet scary strut my way.

I quickly turn around hoping they don't see me. Men are vile and scary.

"Hey!" One says. "Are you lost?"

I slowly meet their eyes and start sweating. "Hey babe whatcha doing all alone?" He smirks. My heart begins to race at lightning speed. I can't think.

They start to crowd me up against the lockers until I can't move. Tears fall one at a time as they continue to talk to me. One of them reaches a hand up to touch my face.