6 | the game

a r a b e l l a

It's Friday morning and my mom already left for work. I grab a bowl from the kitchen cabinet and pour in my favorite cereal: Cinnamon Toast Crunch.

As soon as the sweet and delicious flavor hits my tongue I can't help but do a happy dance. Bless whoever created this magical tasting cereal.

For the past two days Shawn has been picking me up for school along with bringing me back home. I offered to give him gas money but he refused every time.

I'm glad I have a guy friend like Shawn since I never really had any before. He is the nicest and sweetest person I've known. He tends to be rough around the edges with others but with me he seems different.

I get this strange feeling when I'm with him like there's butterflies in my stomach. I start sweating and my heart beats out of my chest at the sight of him.

I don't know what that means right now. I've never felt this way about a guy before.

I take another bite of my cereal. All of a sudden I feel my phone buzz from my back pocket.

Shawn: hey angel I'm outside.

Okay I get butterflies when he texts me too.

I make sure to lock my front door and walk towards his car. My breathing intensifies when I see he's leaning against the passenger side door with his arms crossed.

"Hi" he grins. "You look beautiful today." He opens the door, never taking his eyes off me.

I blush and thank him getting into the car.

He walks back over to the drivers side shutting the door and starts the car.

"So are you excited for the game tonight?" He asks rolling down the windows.

I was nervous. Like most things in my life I've never been to a high school football game. It seemed too crowded and noisy.

"Y-yeah, a little it's my first one." I answer staring at the traffic lights.

I feel like Shawn can always sense my anxiety as he says "Arabella I'll be with you the whole time, so will the guys plus Ava. They're usually fun and we'll get some food after. I promise you'll have a good time."

I turn to give him a smile. He shifts his gaze for a second grinning back at me before shifting his attention back at the road.

He always knows what to say to make me feel better.

~

School is kind of wild today. Lots of school colors being worn, cheerleaders, and I'm pretty sure confetti. I'm guessing football games were a big deal around here.

I was eating lunch with Shawn along with Darren and Will. Max and Ava were as Shawn put it "occupied."

I hear a bunch of yelling to a table to my left. I shift my gaze to the football players wearing jerseys. They were all laughing and taking loudly.

Suddenly a pair of eyes from the table meet mine. He winks at me scanning my body. He looks so familiar.

I quickly look away.