Chapter 3: Lover

A gentle breeze stirred the expertly clipped shrubberies outside of the picture window lining my mom's living room, making the heart-shaped leaves shimmer under the light of a pale moon. I couldn't see anything but landscaping and pretentious lawn furniture that belonged on the pages of a magazine, yet, something in the murky greenery drew my attention. I couldn't tell if I was crazy or clairvoyant, but history wasn't on my side. 

"Absolutely not you two!" My mom fussed, tossing us a pained look to break my focus. "Guests don't help with chores like setting the table!"

"Uh, technically, Ella and Varun are both our guests," Aaron deduced quickly, his head pinging between all of us. "Does that mean I have to do everything?"

"No, butt-plug, I'll help," I snorted, changing direction to accept a stack of woven placemats from my mom.

"Language, Ella," my mom whispered under her breath.

"Sorry, Mom. Force of habit," I tried to arrange my expression into an apologetic smile for Varun's benefit.

"I'm glad you feel comfortable enough to joke with your family," Varun answered in his steady, dignified intonation. "Though that was particularly disgusting, it was chuckle-worthy. Your relationship is much like mine and my brother's when we were much younger, of course."

I ducked my head and scooted around the table to deposit the hexagonal plates at each place setting. I was personally responsible for the emotional anguish that Varun was experiencing. I knew how much it hurt to lose a family member too soon.

Aaron was gathering up fists full of silverware loudly behind the kitchen island, while my mom dressed a delicious looking salad.

"I'm really sorry about, Arujn," substituting his actual name made it easier to talk about Rishi's death, in a morbid way. "He was helping me."

"And I will continue his work, to honor my brother's memory," Varun's eyes misted over while I took a measured breath. "He wanted me to help you too, you know."

Powerful emotions rushed my body, charging the ions under my skin to prickle.

"Thank you," I tried to smile.

"Ella, would you grab us some glasses out of that cupboard above the dishwasher?" My mom requested, releasing us from our moment.

With the table set, we sat down to a lovely meal (that didn't involve a single heart-shaped item.) My mom's cooking was (as it always has been) mouth-watering while magically boasting low-calorie ingredients. Another secret power of hers, making vegetables not completely suck.

Aaron and Varun discussed the courses that my brother would be taking in the spring at Georgetown University (where both Rishi's went to school), while my mom and I chatted about her work at the foundation. With Varun's help, my family was already settled into their new lives on the East Coast and making plans for the long haul.

"Oh, Varun, Honey? Marlene called and our reservation-" My mom caught herself after letting the term of endearment slip while I noisily choked on a mouthful water.

Aaron's fork clattered to the floor. "Crap. I gotta, get that," He mumbled, slinking off his chair like a coward.

A loud buzzing started up between my ears, like radio static after a bomb has just been dropped. My hand wrapped itself around my lower neck to feel the velvety texture of my close-clipped hair.

"Ellie, sweetheart?" my mom's voice was very small, almost afraid. "Are you alright?"

"Mom," I hissed, burying my face in my hands. "Don't call me Ellie in front of your lover."