Chapter 28: Family Vacation

By the third day of our grueling group exercises, I wasn't making moderate progress. In fact, I didn't even deserve an award for participation. My agitation had grown into a healthy ball of gnarled, pent up resentment.

I couldn't imagine what was taking Isla, Cyrus, and Valentina so long, but hopefully, they would be able to shed some light on what was going on back in Washington DC. At best, I figured no news was good news or so stupendously bad they weren't ready to tell us. 

During that time, we got at least five more feet of snow, forcing us to dig out the front door of the cabin just to go outside.

My skin was pruning in a tub of lukewarm water after another day of training. I'd managed to split the surface of the iced-over lake near the cabin with an enhancement shot from Basem, much to the dismay of the few fish hibernating in the frozen water. 

The hollow crack reverberated out over the hills, shaking white powder from the bowed pines to twinkle in the bright afternoon sun. It was the first time I'd fired off a shot in a while, and immediately after I collapsed into shivers.

Sinking into the tub, but keeping my nostrils above the filmy line of the bathwater, I focused on pushing the energy out of my chest once more. Breathing alone wasn't getting the charge to a sufficient heat, which was frustrating as fuck

I tried picturing our working session that morning to inspire the atoms, but all I could think about was my little brother and what I'd cost my family. The power swelled and died out unceremoniously while I dissolved into nervous trembles.

The water closet was a poky room off of the main den-slash-picnic-area, just big enough for a squat porcelain tub that had to be older than our current century. I finished rinsing my hair and wrapped a scratchy towel around my middle to drip dry, which is how I realized I'd stupidly forgotten my change of clothes in our sleeping quarters.

Carefully, I unlatched the door and poked myself through to jog across the wood floor, pointing my head down to keep from slipping.

Rounding the doorway to the kitchen I bumped into a tall, dark pair of legs attached to a body that grunted on impact. Clutching the towel to my chest, I glanced up to find Cyrus' angular face and curious ochre eyes widen with surprise.

"Hey!" I exclaimed, dripping a percussion of droplets onto the floor. "You're here!

"I am," he replied, slightly taken aback. "And you, are in a towel?"

"I took a bath," I explained hurriedly. "So what's going on? What did you guys find out?"

An inquisitive smile tugged at his scar as his mouth split into a smile, but he did not answer. A tiny surge of energy tickled my skin, prickling the flesh in a surprising rush that nearly stole my breath.

"Get dressed, little Half Hero," Mac called, gesturing for me to hurry up. All the other Scions had gathered around the woodstove like it was storytime at the local library. "We need to talk."

I scuttled away to throw on (yet another) outfit that Nawell had lent me. The loose cotton pants felt good against my skin, but the buttoned top was a bit revealing in the boob region. On my way out I grabbed a sweater from my bunk to yank over my head.

In the main room, I found Isla perched on the back of one of the couches, draped over Cyrus in a way that didn't seem sisterly. Valentina was pacing the floor near the stove, tossing Mac concerned looks. 

Situating myself between Nawell and Basem on the floor closest to the crackling stove, I waited for someone to start.

"Ella's brother is awake," Cyrus informed us first, fixing his eyes on mine. "The doctors are sure they've gotten all the bone fragments out of his bloodstream. He's also on a lot of drugs and told your mother all about the video you posted to social media."