Ch. 1 | The Beginning

A cold chicago morning.
I woke up to the stale breeze, 7:30 sharp. A typical early Erudite morning. My mother was babbling to my father about new technology our faction was creating. I rolled out've bed to grab my freshly pressed clothes hanging on the closet. A blazer, button down, and skirt. Typical Erudite attire.
I dress and brush my hair and head out to the kitchen. "Good morning Adeline, did you read the article I left for you on your dresser?" my mother greeted me. This happened often. She always tries to educate me about the new innovations Erudite wants to diffuse into the government, although I'm not interested.
          "No mother not yet," I said while rummaging for something to eat.
          "It was about a new form of testing coming out for the choosing ceremony. Quite eye opening. Shame you haven't read it yet, I expected you to." This was another usual thing. My mother expecting me to be the perfect Erudite.
          "I'll read it after breakfast," I told her, grabbing the bowl of fruit from the counter. She gave me a look.
          "The test is tomorrow, have you prepared your strategy?" She has those wide eyes, she knew I wasn't ready. However I did know how to put up a good front.
          "Of course, I have my morals to guide me. Intellect will take me soaring through mother." She nodded and took her files and left. I woke up my brothers and we headed out for the day.
          We walked to the Erudite building where most of their research is done. This is where they also hold education classes. I had a meeting to attend about testing tomorrow. I sent my brothers Nicholas and Matthew to class for the day. I walked upstairs with the other kids to a conference room. Filled with seats and a podium, there stood my uncle and beside him Jeanine Matthews.
          "Welcome everyone, please take a seat. The Aptitude Test Information meeting will begin shortly." Jeanine announced. The seats filled. I found a few kids I used to play with as a child. However Erudite was not very supportive of a classic game of hopscotch. We played strategy games. I'm quite the chess player, doesn't mean I enjoy it.
          The meeting began with a projection presentation. Where to go, what time to be there, and how to trust yourself. I caught my uncle staring at me nearly every five minutes. I knew he was unsure of me.
          "The test will evaluate the deepest parts of your personality. It assign you the faction you fit with best. However, you still have free will, to make the right choice," my Uncle announced, stating right at me. I don't know my choice. Erudite is dirty, corrupt even. But I can't be Candor and be honest, I can't be Amity and be peaceful and kind, you can forget Abnegation. That leaves Erudite...and Dauntless.
          The meeting closed and I tried to slip out as quick as possible. Just when I had thought I was in the clear- "Adeline! Ms. Adeline Young!" my uncle called grabbing my arm last minute. Caught, no going back now.
          "Oh, hi Uncle Mark, so sorry to have you chase me down," I said with a big fake smile. Reasons I could never be Candor.
          "We're planning to innovate the test starting next year. What do you think?" he asked. I really had no opinion. Erudite was planning to make the test even more invasive into the mind..to rule out Divergents. They wanted to decrease all chances of rebellion against the system. Divergents cannot be contained or controlled, Erudite did not like that.
          "I think it's great. Very strategic. Less room for flaws in the system." I smiled again. I'm not sure what he wants from me, but reassurance is definitely one of them. He gave a faint smile and a nod.
          "Good luck tomorrow Adeline. We know you'll make the right choice." All I did was smile, release my arm from his grip, and walk away. I found my brothers and headed home.
Tomorrow I will find out my fate, and the day after it will be sealed.

I'm terrified.
-
-
(A/N: hi all, I hope you enjoy this first chapter. I'm really looking forward to this story!!!!!🤍💋 xoxo)