"until we grew up"

heavenly
-
cigarettes after sex

I got up off the train, making my way to the familiar apartment of my two former best friends.

As I made my way up the stairs, I couldn't help but stare at the text Chase had sent me.

Why now? Why New York? I've already had enough loss and heartbreak in this city I didn't need anymore of it, I thought as I shut my phone off and shoved into my pocket. I was nervous just reading the text, I couldn't imagine how nervous I could be when- if I decided to go and see him.

Snapping out of my thoughts, I made my way into the building and then elevator. My foot continually tapped against the floor. I hadn't realized how nervous I was until I stepped off the elevator and was in front of the door, my hand balled into a fist as I knocked on the familiar grey door.

The mother of the two opened the door, having a shocked facial expression yet still a smile plastered across the all too familiar face.

"Cheryl!" She smiled, pulling me in for a tight hug after pecking my cheek.

"Hi, Eleanor!" I beamed. She had always an aunt figure to me and once my mother was gone she became more of a motherly one which I appreciated.

"How's California-" She was cut off by Nina and Rodrick, the two people I had been friends with since I was a toddler.

"C!"
"Belle!" The set of twins had yelled at the same time. Rodrick had been calling me Belle since he could speak since he could never quite pronounce the 'ch' sound 'til he was about three, but even afterwards, stuck with calling me belle anyways since he felt it was more 'original' since no one called me by my last name.

I turned, running towards the two as I practically jumped on Rodrick and Nina basically tackled me to the floor.

"I missed you so much!" Nina said as I agreed, hugging her back tightly.

Once we pulled away from eachother Rodrick let a hand out, pulling me up as he immediately pulled me in for another hug.

"How long are you staying?" The two asked in unison.

"A few days." I said, now slightly sad about it. Whilst being in California I forgot about how much I loved and missed the city. Yes, a lot of heart-wrenching things had happened here, but I also had some of my best memories here.

"Are you hungry, Cheryl?" The mother of the two asked.

I nodded slightly and Nina spoke up before I could even get a word out, "She said yes, mom. She's hungry!" I nudged her slightly, always feeling slightly shy everytime a friend had done that.

"I'll make you pasta if it's still your favorite." She smiled at me.

"Thank you, Eleanor." I returned the gesture as she said a simple 'you're welcome' before the two dragged me towards Rodrick's room while Eleanor went into the kitchen.

"We have to go out tonight!" Rodrick stated the second Nina had fully shut the door.

Rodrick laid on his bed, his upper body slightly leaning against the bed frame as I laid my head against his shoulder and Nina sat on his desk chair, facing us both.