Chapter Seven

"What-," the man's wife stared at the redhead girl and the stranger in her living room. "Jon!"

"Jay... Jay come on," Blake pulled the jacket off of him. "Jay, talk to me buddy. Come on, I need you now. Don't give up on me."

"Sweetheart," the Scottish Professor pointed to her. "This man needs help, get me the things from the room. Ya tend to her."

"Yes," she pulled Blake back from Jay. "My husband is going to take care of him. I think it would be better if I check you."

"Just give me a hand and move him to the bathroom," Jon nodded to his wife who helped him carry Jay into their small bathroom. Blake stood there, unaware of what she should do. For once in her life she felt like she was useless, terrified because she didn't know what she was suppose to do. The man's wife ran about the house getting what her husband asked her to grab for him and finally, she came for Blake, holding out fresh clothes.

"I warmed them for you," she stated. "Get out of your wet clothes."

Nodding, Blake grabbed them.

"I'm Emma. You are?"

"Blake...Blake Barnes."

"Nice to met you," Emma smiled warmly. "Go get changed, I'll make some tea to warm you up."

Blake walked out wearing some of Emma's clothing, moving slowly when she heard Jon talking to the unresponsive Jay. Emma cleared her throat, asking her to get into the kitchen.

"Sit down," Emma pointed as she grabbed Blake's bruised fists. "Did you punch the ice?"

"I didn't know what else to do," Blake whispered. "I panicked."

"You'll be fine," Emma laughed as she held out a homemade remedy. "This gets rid of bruises awfully quick but let me warn you. It smells. My husband always wraps it so it doesn't smell. I don't see why he does it, there isn't much of a difference in how he normally smells like."

Blake laughed at her joke, watching the lady rub the paste over her hands. The wraps felt rather cool on her skin, it felt nice against her throbbing hands.

"He should be okay," Jon announced as he walked out of the bedroom this time, holding Jay's wet clothes. "I'll just stay up to keep an eye on him, to stay on the safe side."

"No," Blake shook her head at him. "I can keep an eye on him, you two have done plenty for us. Thank you."

Emma smiled at her, patting her arm as she tucked her first aid kit away. Jon inhaled deeply, examining the girl in front of him.

"What were you two doing way out here in the middle of the storm?"

"Professor Peterson," Blake gently dug for the notebook in the pocket.

"Yes?"

"Sabrina asked me to bring you this," Blake extended the red notebook towards him. Jon grabbed the notebook from her hands, looking down at the beaten little book. It sure did seem to have a long journey.

"Thank you," he smiled. "How about we get this all settled with tomorrow? I think we all need a good night rest."

"I left you some blankets and pillows for you," Emma pointed. "Have a good night."

"Thank you," Blake smiled at her, looking down at her bandaged hands.

Blake yearned to hear Rowan's voice on the other end of the phone but she couldn't. She needed to keep him safe and by not talking to him, it was her only way.

She sat on the one person sofa across from the bed where Jay laid upon. His breathing was short and rapid as if he still wasn't warm enough. Moaning softly, he turned to look at Blake. He forced a smile before closing his eyes again.