Chapter 3: I Met Him In The Garden

The king of Canada was right in front of him. Klaus was at a loss for words. The man's eyes almost seemed to glow in the darkness. It was almost hard to believe he was even there. Shouldn't he be in the ballroom?

"Why are you here?" the king asked as he peered down upon Klaus. His stare was just as cold as before.

"I-I uh..." Klaus took a deep breath and stood up from the ground. "I'm sorry I'll just-" "No." Matt cut him off with a strong tone and a short but sharp word. "I asked you a question." He said, narrowing his gaze.

"W-Why am I here? Well uh... the party was just a little stuffy for me and uh-" Klaus stuttered, looking off to the side, all traces of confidence were thrown out the window.

"Who are you?" he cut him off again. Matt was only looking for direct answers.

That was an easy one to answer. This was starting to feel like an interrogation. It's not like anyone said he couldn't be in the garden. "Klaus Beilschmidt, Prince of Prussia." His breathing was slow as he introduced himself. That's when he remembered who this was, so he bowed. "Your majesty," he added at the end.

"Prince of Prussia, eh? You look a little meek for a prince... quite short too. How old are you exactly?" Matt asked, stepping over the flower, moving closer to Klaus to get a better look at the other.

"M-Me?" He took a step back from Matt. "Well uh, I'm eighteen. I don't look that young..." Klaus muttered, looking back up at him.

"Don't look that manly either. In Fact, I've never seen anything like you. How curious..." he muttered the last part. His tone stayed constant, deep, sharp, and cold.

"Well I am albino, I get it from my dad's side... then the heterochromia from my mom." Ah yes, his mom. Klaus' mom passed away from an illness when he was just a boy. Their dad, Gilbert, tried his best to be a king and a father when he needed to be. Klaus still did miss his mother. It bothered him less now than it did before.

Matt put a hand on Klaus' shoulder as he stared down at the other. "You are a strange person, Klaus." was all he bothered to say before walking past him, deeper into the garden.

Not even a goodbye or telling him to leave. Just those six simple words and then he left. Klaus turned and looked; he watched as Matt left him there, alone by the rose. This man was surely something else. No one had ever talked to Klaus like that. So direct, speaking nothing but his mind. Showing only what he wanted to show. But why was Matt out here in the first place? Meeting him like this felt so... exclusive. He can't even deny Matt's words. This was strange. But did that mean HE was strange? No. Of course not. But still... those final six words stuck with him. You are a strange person, Klaus. They played through his head like a broken record. But maybe Klaus being strange wasn't such a bad thing...