Unknown Waters 🌊 || 4-29-20

Ever since Rantaro was little, he's always been told stories of mermaids and mythical sea creatures. His father always traveled the sea, and every time he brought Rantaro new stories of all the "mermaids" he saw. Of course, Rantaro was older now and stopped believing in crazy stories like that. He was 17 now, and knew how to sail his own boat. Even if mermaids don't exist, he still loved to sail the sea. Everyday he would go out and clean up his father's boat a little and sat out in front of the ocean the rest of the evening. But, one evening in particular felt different. 

He was sitting out on a rock, having just finished cleaning the windows, and was watching the waves pull in and push out, the setting sun making the water a warm, glistening mixture of oranges, yellows, and purples. Rantaro knew it was getting late, so he started to pack up and go. But, while hopping off the rock, there was a splash. He turned his head to see a shape disappear under the water. Rantaro just shrugged it off, thinking it was a dolphin and started to head back. That is, until he heard a strange chirp. It wasn't a dolphin chirp, nor anything else Rantaro's heard before. He turned and started at the ocean for a bit. After waiting for a while, a dark figure appeared under the surface. Rantaro staggered back, going into defensive mode. He watched as the figure emerged, revealing a person. Rantaro's mouth fell open as the person stared at Rantaro. He had dark navy hair and pale skin, along with shiny yellow eyes that had rather large eyelashes. Rantaro took a step forward, causing the person to push backward, their tail splashing and creating mini waves. Wait. Tail? This person had a tail? Rantaro took another step forward, causing the person to let out a scared chirp and diving under the water, swimming away. Rantaro stared at the water in disbelief. "What the fuck kinda drugs did my old lady slip in my food-" 

He stood and grabbed his bag. He noticed it was wet and had a note on it. He took the note and attempted to read it. He couldn't though, because it was in some weird language. He kept the note anyway, and walked back home.

When he was home, he rushed to his room and grabbed his laptop. He opened the browser and typed in "Mermaids". There was an article explaining Mermaids and they're behavior.

"Mermaids are curious creatures. They love to play with humans, but are to afraid to come into contact with one. They enjoy human objects and often take things like pool toys and ropes off of boats. They have a mysterious language that historians have luckily decoded in 1989. The language translates as follows..."

Rantaro read the list and took out his note. That was mermaid language! He quickly decoded it and read it.

"Hi. I took your tiny shiny things from your weird leather thingy. Sorry." 

Rantaro pulled out his wallet. Indeed, all his coins were gone. He let out a laugh. "That old geezer... So he was telling the truth? I guess its my bad for not believing..." He tucked the note away in his wallet, putting it down. He looked out the window, staring at the ocean. He then heard a small knock on his door. He opened it and looked out. A person appeared. Rantaro got startled a little bit, then looked at the person. He had navy hair with bright yellow eyes.. Was it the...? Rantaro gasped and stepped out the window. "B-But...? You were in the water...?" He stuttered. The person just grabbed his wrist and placed a finger over his lips, saying shhh! Rantaro immediately shut up. "I was in the water. But I'm here now. Come." Rantaro furrowed his brow as the person dragged him to the beach. The male then let go of Rantaro and pointed to the rock. "You saw me." Rantaro nodded. "Yeah.... Uhm... Is that bad?" The person nodded. "Very bad. Now you take me away. But I take you first." Rantaro's face turned into a shocked expression. "Take you? T-Take me? What?" The person sighed. "You take me, but me take you first." Rantaro shrugged. "I don't wanna take you! I don't want you to take me!" The person tilted his head. "No take me?" Rantaro shook his head. The male smiled and grabbed Rantaro's hand. "Yay! Happy news!" Rantaro smiled back. "I'm Rantaro, by the way." The merman tilted his head, then pointed at himself. "Shuichi." Rantaro grinned. "Nice to meet you, Shuichi. Now, I gotta ask, are you really a mermaid?" Shuichi nodded. "Wanna see?" Rantaro nodded, then Shuichi moved to the water, diving in. Then, a tiny light flashed and Shuichi reappeared. He held out what would be his legs above the surface. Indeed, there was a tail. Shuichi then let out a chirp and pointed as his throat. "You can't speak when you're a mermaid, huh?" Shuichi nodded. 

Rantaro smiled and kneeled down to the edge of the water. He then gave Shuichi a pat on the head. The other's eyes widened as he quickly dipped underwater. "Ah... Right, sorry. I was just trying to feel your hair." Shuichi reappeared and looked up at Rantaro. He held a hand out and Shuichi tilted his head. And yet, like a cuddly kitten, he smiled and rubbed his head on Rantaro's hand. Rantaro laughed as he ran his fingers through the male's hair. It was soft.... and dry...? But he was in the water.... Mermaid logic, I guess. Shuichi smiled sweetly as he grabbed Rantaro's hand. "H-Hm?" Shuichi chirped and pointed at the ocean, tugging Rantaro's arm. "A-Ah.... I can't go.... I won't survive. I can't breathe underwater." Shuichi looked at Rantaro, hurt. Shuichi then let go and dipped underwater, the light reappearing. Shuichi then reappeared, climbing out of the water. He then whimpered and flung himself onto Rantaro. Rantaro looked down at Shuichi, frowning. "I'm sorry... But, I'll still visit, kay? I'll be back tomorrow." Shuichi just nuzzled his nose further into Rantaro's chest. Rantaro placed his hand on Shuichi's back, rubbing it up and down. "Hey... I gotta go.... My family is probably worried." Shuichi let go and frowned. "I promise I'll visit tomorrow. Right in this spot." Shuichi nodded and the two parted ways. 

Rantaro then arrived home, not even bothering to tell his family where he was. He went straight to the bathroom to take a shower then straight to bed. 

The next morning, Rantaro got dressed and hurried out to the beach, waiting for Shuichi. Soon, the merman arrived. When Shuichi saw Rantaro, he quickly transformed, hurried out of the water and ran to Rantaro, wrapping his arms around the male. Rantaro laughed and hugged back. "No one's ever been this excited to see me before..." He said causing Shuichi's grip to tighten on his shirt. "Rantaro friend. Me wanna be with friend." Rantaro's expression turned to a worried one. "You don't have any other friends?" Shuichi thought for a moment. There was Maki, Kaito, Kiibo, Kokichi, Kaede, and Miu.... (jfc they're all K's-) But, they were all merfolk. Rantaro was different because he was human. "You human. You different. Me like different." Rantaro turned red for some reason. "T-Thanks, Shuichi." Shuichi smiled. The two sat for a while, talking and explaining things humans and merpeople do. Until, Shuichi asked a question.

"What do humans do when they're in love?" He tilted his head, grabbing Rantaro's hand. Rantaro shrugged. "I-I... I mean, I guess they tell the person they love... and if that person accepts the feelings, they become romantic partners." Shuichi put a hand on his chin. "Is it okay for a male and a male to love?" Rantaro almost choked. "Y-Yes...! Of course it is! Though, there are people who don't think so, but still... It's perfectly fine to feel like that for someone of the same gender as you." Shuichi nodded. "What about a mermaid and a human?" Rantaro shrugged. "I-I mean... I've never met another human who's dated a mermaid before, but I'm sure it's not forbidden or anything." Shuichi nodded and crawled into Rantaro's lap, snuggling up against him. "Can I love you?" He asked. Rantaro looked down at Shuichi, surprised. "I-I... Um...." Shuichi looked up at Rantaro, expecting an answer. Rantaro just chuckled. "Of course, Shuichi. You can love me." Shuichi nodded. "Then that means....  You can love me too?" Rantaro nodded. "Yes, I'll love you too." Smiling, Shuichi cuddling up to Rantaro, content with this answer.

Rantaro just smiled, holding Shuichi close.

 'Thanks, dad....' 

{1447 words- Told ya it'll be shorter this time, lmao. Anyway, thanks for reading and peace.}