Chapter 3: Comfort

"Hold on, can you walk?"

I stared at the android, focusing on it's apparent lack of a right leg. The joint was sparking with electricity and wires were sticking out of it. The android looked down, realising it had a missing limb only now. The android glanced back up at me and shook it's head almost dejectedly.

My heart twisted at it's frown, so I took it upon myself to look for the detached leg, striding to the dumpster and rifling through the mess. Catching hold of what felt like an ankle, I pulled the plastic limb up, freeing it. It's covered in all sorts of fluids, maybe it won't work anymore.. Well, I hope it will.

Kneeling next to the prone android, I grab his upper leg as tenderly as I could. I wasn't sure if the movement would cause it pain if I handled it roughly. The leg joint made a cracking sound as I tried to fit the two parts of the limb back together, and I winced.

Looking at the android's face for any sign of distress, I try again, twisting the parts to join them. They click into place satisfyingly, and my sigh of relief was apparent. I slouch down, and allow the android to get back on it's feet.

Finally, having the android in better lighting, I urge it to sit on the couch while I prepare my repairbox. It seemed hesitant, like it was scared to get the fabric of the sofa dirty. Cute. I gently push it's shoulders towards the seat, telling him it was necessary.

The clinking sound of my tools rang out through my living room, as I search for a bottle of thirium. All detectives were issued a repairbox from Cyberlife, to repair their detective android partners if they ever needed to. I've never had an android partner, but they seemed pretty cool when I first met them, so I'd always try to learn more about them when I could.

Ah, there it is! The plastic bottle's contents sloshed around, the liquid partially opaque. I uncapped it, handing it over to the android to drink. It stared at me with round eyes as if it couldn't believe what it was seeing.

"What, never drank thirium before? Have you ever been repaired?"

I question, pressing the bottle into it's hands. It examines the label, as if confused.

"Hey, drink it. It'll be good for you, I think. I can't attest to how it'll taste though, never had it."

It slowly tips the liquid into its mouth, lips coming into contact with the rim.
I shook my head, focusing on the task at hand.

Hurriedly snatching a wrench from my toolbox, I adjust out-of-place limbs, and replace mangled ones. It's audiory processor was broken, emitting a faint whining sound only audbile from up close. It must have felt like tinnitus to the android.

"Three, two, one." Calmly cracking the processor out of the synthetic ear, I quickly fit a new one into it's void.

Using a wet cloth, I wiped down the android's body lightly  removing traces of garbage juice, dirt, and dried thirium. Pale peach skin greeted me, it's softness surprising.

The android had inhaled sharply when I removed the processor, but seemed to feel better after it's repair.

The now-empty bottle of thirium rest on my coffee table, and I took it as a sign that I should leave the android to rest.

"Lie down, I'll get you a pillow. Get ready to change into sleep mode."

I tell the android softly, before turning to my bedroom and plucked a couple of pillows and a blanket from my bed. Using this time of being alone, I thought about the situation I was in and how absurd it was. There's a malfunctioning android in my living room. Huh.

Tiptoeing back into my living room, I bend over the side of my couch and push a pillow under the android's head, adjusting it's neck such that it wasn't bent at a weird angle. I heard the whirring sounds of it's various processors, winding down into sleep mode. The LED blinked red once, then shifted to a warm yellow. It's eyelids shut slowly, a peaceful expression coming over the android's features.

I was glad to see it looked not so pained now. Maybe my scattered knowledge of androids' biocomponents actually helped. Tucking a blanket over it's body to maintain it's temperature, I smile and whisper quietly.

'Goodnight.'

//Please don't forget to comment your thoughts! Vote if you liked the chapter too! - angelfruitspider//