Chapter 11: Staying Awake

"Okay, so you can sit here." I patted the sofa next to me. Connor nodded obediently, and stared attentively at my computer screen, even though I hadn't even started on my report.

  I glanced at the clock, 10:30pm. Time to get to work. Taking a deep breath, I opened a new file and started to type.

  A few minutes later, I felt an ounce of weariness creep into my mind, and promptly requested Connor to brew a cup of coffee for me. He tilted his head at me. Does he even know how to brew coffee?

  Maybe I can show him. Walking to the kitchen and signalling Connor to follow, I grabbed a mug and started filling the kettle with water.

  Connor watched interestedly, and his LED shone amber. Guess that means he's learning. Piercing the capsule of grinds on my coffee machine, I poured water over it. The grinds were steeped, and dripped slowly into my mug.

  Connor's gaze followed the droplets accumulating in the cup, and observed, "The scent of the coffee is very strong now. Are you sure you want to drink it like that?"

  I nodded, explaining that it was espresso and it was meant to be drunk like that. Knowing I had to stay up all night, drinking such a bitter concoction was necessary.

  Connor seemed to want to try some, licking his lips every time he looked at the dark liquid. "Con, you wanna have a sip? It's really bitter though."

  He nodded his head enthusiastically, and cupped the warm mug in this hands to try the brew. Taking a tiny sip, he grimaced. "My taste receptors are stronger than yours, so the bitterness is overpowering. However, there is a nutty and balanced aftertaste."

  I was impressed, and gave him a quick thumbs up. We then went back to my table, now armed with a fresh cup of coffee.

//

  Connor's eyes closed for a few seconds every now and then, showing me that he was sleepy. Dozing off in short increments, he leant his head on my shoulder. His fluffy hair tickled my neck, but I tried not to interrupt his rest by moving away. I bit my lip, supressing my giggles.

  He wasn't the type to snore (do androids even snore?), but supporting his head made it hard to concentrate on my task. Deciding to reach over to the sofa and steal a throw pillow, I placed it on the table.

  Gently pushing his head off my shoulder and guiding his groggy self to rest his head on the pillow instead, I heaved a sigh of relief. My shoulder was starting to ache.

  Taking a warm sip of the espresso, I entered the last set of data into the report. My shoulderblades cracked a little as I leaned back in my chair, satisfied. Finally, I was done.

  I could hear the faint chirping of birds outside, and the only thing I wanted to do was fall asleep. But I had to get ready for work soon. A few minutes of sleep won't hurt. I set an alarm, and dozed off happily.

//

  Luckily, I managed to wake up before my last alarm sounded. If not, I would have stayed in dreamland for the rest of the day. Reluctantly pushing out my chair, I stood up and stretched.

  The sky was a little brighter, clouds strewn throughout the azure scape. I yawned, wishing I could spend the day at home resting. But work is work, I guess.

  I shot a text to Hank, making sure he was awake, and swiped my coat from the back of a chair. Connor mumbled something, and his LED transitioned to blue. He furrowed his eyebrows at me, squinting.

  "Are you heading to work?" He asked, rubbing his eyes. I nodded subtly, focused on putting on my coat.

  "You can go back to sleep, I'll be back in the evening." I reassured him. "If you don't know where the thirium is kept, it's in the cabinet next to the sofa, in the tool box."

  Connor hummed in reply, already falling back to sleep. I smiled fondly at him, slipping on my shoes. Trying to close the door as softly as I could was quite a feat, which I barely managed. I let out a held breath when the lock clicked softly, and left.

  The ride to work was calm, classical instrumentals drifting through my car. I thought about Connor, and my relationship with him. An android and a human. Huh. I hope his chest doesn't hurt anymore.

  He seemed to be fine earlier, at least. I pushed away all thoughts of the android, and focused on driving safely to the station.

//Please don't forget to comment your thoughts! Vote if you liked the chapter too! - angelfruitspider//