| 20 |

It seemed Caius had taken to keeping his distance from me.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed as I sat in that window, watching the world pass by.

I felt guilty, knowing that as every second passed, my family were worrying about me.

My throat burned incessantly. A constant reminder of the thing that I had become, and the thing that I hungered for.

I could hear his light footsteps as they stopped outside the door.

"You can come in, these are your chambers." I muttered, knowing he could hear me perfectly.

I wanted to stay mad, and I was, this anger, the pain, knowing that my choices were fully taken from me, it wasn't going away anytime soon, but this lingering pain and tightness in my chest was getting harder and harder to ignore.

Before I'd left Forks, Carlisle had explained to me what being mated to a vampire consisted of. He had explained the pain that mated pairs experienced being apart too long.

I remember thinking that he was exaggerating. I should have listened to him better, because now I was stuck in a situation I didn't truly understand.

"Mia cara?" I turned and looked at the vampire that had turned my whole world upside down. His gaze was gentle but guarded. His black, satin dress shirt was untucked and rumpled and for someone that could never grow tired, he looked exhausted.

In his hand he held a blood bag.

"Thank you." I said, taking it from him.

He nodded and turned to leave.

"Is there anywhere else I can stay?" I asked, fingers pushing down on the bag in my hands, feeling the liquid move around.

"These are your chambers as well as mine, though you haven't had time to decorate as I'd hoped you would."

I huffed a laugh and shook my head. "This isn't some romantic novel, I was never gonna look into your eyes and give you my soul."

"Don't you understand? We were meant for each other."

"Don't you understand?" I reiterated. "I never wanted this, you forced this on me."

At some point I had whirled around, glaring at him with so much burning anger. I hadn't noticed the cracks in the walls and the cracks that began to spread along Caius' body until he lunged forward, locking his hands against my cheeks as he pulled my lips to meet his.

And I felt bliss.

a/n: 

there's a reason this one is so short guys, but you will get more next chapter which will either be out tonight or tomorrow!

I asked you guys yesterday about my tip jar and many of you got back to me saying you'd be interested in supporting me. The link is below, I chose 'buy me a coffee' because it's exactly like patreon but cheaper! Take a look around and explore. But there's no pressure to donate, I'll love you all, regardless!

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/babblingwriter

(the link isn't clickable but if you type by me a coffee followed by my username on google, you'll find me)