Our Predicament

Taking advantage of the fact that everyone was distracted, I slipped away from the chaos, running down the stairs as I threw the Dali mask off. I had to get to Berlin and the others before things got any more out of control.

Luckily, I had an idea as to where the man might be. I barged into Arturo's main office, freezing at the sight that greeted me. Both Rio and Tokyo had their guns pointed at Berlin, who was sitting placidly behind the grand desk, an innocent expression plastered on his handsome face.

They turned to look at me as I entered, and I raised an eyebrow, feeling my temper rise.

So clearly, Berlin had not approved of our little excursion to the rooftop.

"Lux. What a surprise, come sit." He smiled pleasantly, patting his lap in a clear invitation. I ignored him, stepping closer, only to stop when Tokyo turned and pointed her gun at me.

"Are you serious?" I asked her, looking from her to Rio, who suddenly seemed unsure of the events that were unfolding. Berlin, for his part, looked as though he was enjoying the show.

I shrugged when she didn't answer, taking my gun out and pointing it straight at her.

She smirked at me, tilting her head mockingly. "The Professor said you weren't allowed to have a gun."

Did she think this one was a fake? I cocked it, the sound loud in the tense silence. "Surprise! I have one!" I exclaimed cheerfully. "Now, we can stand here all day pointing our guns at each other, or you two idiots can stop threatening Berlin, and actually go do your job! You let Denver take us outside and Arturo got shot because of it!" Not that I cared really, but the point needed to be made. "You need to go round up our little hostages, and fix the mess you helped create." I was seething by this point, and Tokyo hadn't lowered her weapon, a calculating glint in her gaze. I kept my aim steady, she was more idiotic than what I'd previously believed her to be, if she thought I wouldn't shoot her.

"You don't get to order us around." Tokyo snapped finally, a sneer on her face.

"Ah, no but I do. The Professor did put me in charge after all, and I say you need to go and do as she says. Now." Berlin intervened, staring at us both.

Tokyo lowered her gun slowly, still glaring at me, before she motioned for Rio to follow her, closing the door behind them.

I uncocked my gun, placing it inside my jumpsuit again. Berlin was tapping his fingers against his lips, staring at me, still sitting.

Standing motionless, I waited for him to speak.

"Is he going to make it?" He didn't sound like he cared either way.

I nodded, "Most likely, they hit his right shoulder I think."

He sighed dramatically, "Shame." Standing up from his chair he stretched slowly, acting as though we had all the time in the world. We could hear the shouts coming from outside, loud despite the closed door. He turned, holding out his hand for me to take. "Come darling, let's go see what all the fuss is about."

///

Arturo was moaning loudly, clutching at his bleeding chest, and my teammates were running around like headless chickens, bumping into each other and looking in all directions, as though expecting some miracle would appear out of thin air to solve this for them. Berlin snorted in amusement, looking far too delighted with Arturo's predicament, tugging me closer to his body as we made our way into the fray. "Here, I found this one hiding in a corner." He growled, pushing me into Helsinki's grasp gently. The Serbian nodded and motioned for me to stand with the rest of the hostages.