Promises

Arturo was walking towards the door, with slow strides, putting on a brave facade. I looked at Ariadna, wondering what was going on, but she had a determined look on her face, blue eyes looking clearer than they had in days.

When everyone stood up, following in our former boss's footsteps, I made to stand too, catching Denver's eye, who looked just as confused as I was.

"Where do you think you're going?" Denver snarled, getting right into Arturo's face. Monica's hands trembled as she watched the scene unfold and I sneaked my hand into my jumpsuit, heart pounding in my chest at the thought that I'd soon have to blow my cover.

I cursed inwardly, where had he gotten a gun from?! Arturo's aim was steady, as he pointed the gun straight at Denver's forehead, and I heard Monica swallow heavily at my right. As annoyed as I was with Denver, I did not want him to be shot, and by Arturo's hand no less!

Where was everyone else?! Hadn't they heard Denver's yelling?!

Denver pulled the trigger.

Nothing happened.

I bit my tongue, stopping the scream that wanted to escape. What had happened?! It was my job to stomp on any little rebellions and to know what the hostages were up to at all times, if anything happened to Denver, it would be because of me.

I had failed to do my only job.

Denver's look of utter betrayal made Monica's eyes begin to tear up. That's what happens when you fall in love with someone whose heart belongs to another Denver. They betray you.

Arturo grabbed Denver in a chokehold, dragging him towards the front doors, and I couldn't help the look of absolute disgust I shot at Ariadna, who was all too willing to leave Berlin behind as she scurried off to follow them.

I caught Monica's eye, subtly shaking my head, telling her to not open the door. She was conflicted, that much was clear, as she stared at Denver and then at me.

This was not the way I wanted my big reveal to go, but it looked as though I'd have to, if I wanted to save Denver and keep the plan on track. I was pulling out my own gun when I heard Monica gasp loudly. The doors wouldn't open.

The cavalry arrived just in time, Rio in the lead, with Berlin and Nairobi flanking him on either side. Quickly hiding my gun again, I moved to stand next to Ariadna, wanting to see Berlin's face the moment he realized his new toy wanted to escape just as much as the rest of the hostages did. I bit my lip to hide my grin, watching as he and Nairobi shared a look before simultaneously putting up their guns and pointing them at Arturo.

They needn't have bothered. My cold, cynical heart proved to be wrong this time, and for once, I wasn't too annoyed at not being right, as I watched the curly haired blonde smack her former lover on the back of the head, before he dropped like a stone at our feet, blood pooling from the wound.

Ariadna hissed under her breath, shooting Monica a cold look, but the blonde was too busy looking at Denver, as they shared an intimate moment, gazes saying what a thousand words couldn't hope to convey. Berlin moved closer, and I could tell by the downturn of his mouth that he was less than pleased with the events that had just transpired.

///

He looked so peaceful as he slept. Not for the first time I wished I could see inside his brilliant mind, catch his thoughts in my hands and read them like I was wont to do.

"Hello." I greeted politely, watching as his eyelids began fluttering.

"You're not supposed to be here." He whispered, even as he shifted closer to me, stretching his legs out on the couch before curling them slightly. I smiled wanly, as I continued carding my hands through his hair. "That's no way to greet me, is it? Where are your manners Berlin." I couldn't help but tease him, remembering how many times those words had been uttered at both Martin and I when he'd felt the need to scold us. Of course, I got away with a lot of things that Martin didn't, a fact which I took advantage of every chance I could.

Berlin smirked, turning over, and just when I thought he'd stand up to take his leave, he scooted even closer, moving his head in my lap so as to look at me directly. "You're right of course. I apologize for being so rude. I just didn't expect to see you here." Of course he hadn't. I wasn't even supposed to be here, but we had important matters to discuss.

"Yes well, Ariadna had to go freshen up, so I volunteered to take her place." I didn't bother telling him that the girl had been watching him as though considering the best way to off him. I'd just be wasting my time, after all, he'd seen firsthand just how willing she was to leave him behind, and he hadn't seemed to care then.

"She's quite pretty." I murmured, for a lack of anything better to say. Berlin smirked, sitting up and stretching like the big feline he was. "That she is." He looked immensely pleased with himself, and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at his smug attitude. "Definitely your type." I continued, as he hummed noncommittally.

I longed for a chance to talk to him, without interruptions, and without the fear of being overheard. I wanted to explain myself to him, to ask if he'd missed me as much as I missed him. I wanted to know why Martin wasn't here with us. I wanted to apologize for not realizing what Arturo had been planning to do, I wanted to ask about his shaking hands, about the off hand comment he'd made about dying, I wanted to yell at him for not telling me he was sick, but most of all, I wanted him to hold me again, like he'd done all those years ago.

"You're not here to talk about my taste in women though, are you?" He asked, standing up.

"No." I hesitated, trying to figure out the best way to voice my thoughts, "The others are losing it. Nairobi is on the verge of hysteria, and everyone's exhausted. I think it's time you take control again." I waited for him to speak, knowing we had little time before Ariadna returned from drugging herself to high heaven.

"I think you may be right." He began unwrapping his bandaged head, and I sighed heavily, leaning back against the couch.

"We need to talk Berlin."

"Such formality, besides were we not doing just that?" He chided.

I shot him a dirty look, letting him know I was not amused by his playful attitude.

The look on his face softened, and for a brief moment it was Andrés who was staring at me, not Berlin.

"There will be plenty of time for us to talk once this is all over Lux. I promise you that." He sounded so sincere, but I bit my lip, staring up at him, as he continued, "I'm sure you have a lot of things to ask me, and I you." His voice turned hard then, and I nodded, knowing this was the best deal I was going to wrangle from him at the moment.

We would talk once this was all over, without any interruptions or threats looming over our heads.

///

I was seething. I couldn't remember ever being this angry, as I all but stomped my way to Berlin's office.

He had asked her to come with us.

He had the audacity to let her in on the plan!

I wanted to strangle Berlin with my own two hands, but first, I'd start with Sergio. What kind of idiot had he decided to put in charge?! Berlin wasn't a teenager anymore, how could he have been so stupid as to include Ariadna in this? Thinking it was true love! Ha! He wouldn't know true love if it bit him on the ass!

Did he not realize the danger he was putting us all in?

Did he not care at all?

I burst into the room, slightly out of breath, before I suddenly realized what I'd inadvertently stumbled across. Berlin was kneeling between Ariadna's bare thighs, her long fingers curled in his hair, and by the sounds coming from her mouth, it was clear this was something I should not be privy to.

I blanched as I made eye contact with her, the dazed look in her blue eyes made me sick, and I slammed the door loudly, trying to erase the image that had been burned into my mind.

I made it to the toilets just in time, before throwing up the measly contents of my stomach.

///

What did you think? Next chapter will be up soon! We're getting to the end of season one... or is it technically part one?

I live for all of your comments!