Predictable

Well.

That answered my question regarding Tatiana's whereabouts.

He had to have known that I was listening, that we all were. Of course he wouldn't give a damn either way, he never did. I wanted to call him out on his hypocrisy, but really what was the point? It'd only make it seem as though I cared, and I definitely did not.

Why had Ariadna done it? He couldn't have forced her...he wouldn't have forced her. Why had she gone along with it then?

Forgive me for being so skeptical but I hardly believed she'd fallen in love with Berlin so suddenly.

So why?

My breath caught in my throat, and the tears that followed were almost unexpected. Really, could I be any more pathetic? Here I was, sitting on the floor of a dirty bathroom, crying over a man who had never felt anything remotely close to what I felt for him.

Of course he'd pick her. She was pretty, there was no denying that, with a cute, upturned nose and big blue eyes. See, for all that he prided himself on being so unique and special, Andrés was really quite predictable. He'd always had a type. Andrés liked those stunning beauties, the ones who had classic features and colored eyes, hell, even Martin fit into that category.

God. Had it really been just this morning that I'd woken up in his lap? It felt as though ages had passed since then.

I got up, wiping my face and taking deep, calming breaths. Enough of this.

I just wanted this whole thing to be over already. I wanted my cut of the money, so I could run away and start afresh somewhere new. I never wanted to see Andrés de Fonollosa, ever again. I walked to the bathroom sink and began washing my hands, my movements robotic.

Maybe I'd get a nose job, I thought, looking at my nose in the mirror, a complete makeover, I decided firmly. I'd chop off the hair that he oh so claimed to love and get something new, maybe something like Tokyo? I snorted at my own thoughts. Makeovers were usually done after a breakup, and in order for there to be a breakup, there'd have to be a relationship in the first place.

Still, a change might just do me some good. I scowled, looking down at my dark locks in mild disdain, hating the small part of me that still wanted to be a blonde.

"Where are you going with that?"

I looked down at the box of hair dye in confusion. "Um to the bathroom? I'm going to dye my hair."

"No. You're not." Andrés scowled imperiously.

"Why not? It's my hair."

"Because I like it the way it is."

And then, I'd find a suitable replacement for him. Hell, with the amount of money that'd be lining my pockets, it shouldn't be much of a challenge. I'd find someone better, I told myself, maybe an attractive Greek man off some exotic island, or maybe I'd find someone who'd hurt Andrés, like he'd hurt me. I smirked, like he'd even care who I'd decide to date.

"You're looking amused." He was leaning against the bathroom's doorway, and I wondered how long he'd been standing there, just watching me make faces at my own reflection.

"Should I not be?" I questioned, pulling my hair up, not turning to him.

He didn't answer, instead he walked closer, coming up to stand behind me. I smoothed out my hair, before finally turning to face him. "How long have you been standing there?" I hoped he hadn't heard my little meltdown.

He shrugged, "Not long."

"Did you need something?" I finally asked, when the silence inside the room became unbearable. "Have you not been sleeping?" He questioned instead, his fingers rising towards me, but I pulled back at the last moment, humming noncommittally. I wasn't going to tell him the truth. That I'd slept fitfully, feeling too exposed, too nervous that something would happen with the hostages and I wouldn't be ready. That the most amount of sleep I'd gotten had been that morning, lying in his lap. Besides, I could sleep all I wanted as soon as this was over.

"Have you?" I sassed, taking in his pallid features and the dark shadows under his eyes. "I have." I waited for him to continue, stilling the urge I had to tap my foot against the floor. I wanted to leave, but I knew he'd think it rude. He'd know I was displeased, and I refused to give him the satisfaction of knowing just how much he'd hurt me. Again.

"Will you do something for me?" He asked then, smiling slightly.

I furrowed an eyebrow. "Depends."

"I want you to watch over Ariadna."

I scoffed, was he being serious? "Any particular reason as to why? I hardly think she needs a babysitter, Berlin." Besides, he could always order one of them to babysit her, Oslo or Helsinki even, if he didn't trust the others.

"Consider it a favor, for old time's sake. I don't want anyone giving her a hard time, now that she's my..." He struggled to find a suitable word and I couldn't help but curl my lip in disgust.

He let out an amused breath, prowling closer. "There's no need to be jealous Lux, you're still my favorite hostage." I rolled my eyes at that, turning away from him, but he suddenly gripped my jaw in his large palm, forcing me to look at him. "I must admit, I'd rather hoped you would have outgrown this childish crush on me by now." My face burned, and I narrowed my eyes, watching the amusement light his expression.

I wasn't going to dignify that with a reply. I forced myself to calm down, not wanting him to see just how deeply his mocking words had wounded me. Taking a step back, I walked out of the room.

///

I was wandering the empty halls, my thoughts a jumbled mess I was trying to untangle and organize when long fingers grabbed my arm, pulling me backward roughly. I turned around, ready to slap whoever had had the audacity to manhandle me in such a way, only to be met with Berlin's laughing face.

"Hello." Was all he said, wrapping an arm around my waist and twirling us around gently.

Whatever weird mood he'd been in before was apparently gone by now, as he spun me around the room, humming under his breath. I pulled myself back from him, raising an eyebrow at his sudden change in disposition.

He read the question in my eyes. "Moscow's reached dirt."

I inhaled sharply. Almost then. This was almost over. He pulled me into his arms again, and I let myself be guided into dance once more. There's no denying the relief I felt then, and I found myself smiling alongside him as well, our previous encounter pushed into the back of my mind.

Little did I know that the brief celebration we were having, was the only bit of happiness we'd see for a long time.