compound v / hughie

Request by: Ayeits_sarahhh

(This takes place after Season One)

You and Hughie were best friends. You always had been, but since Robin died, you hadn't really seen him at all and it was honestly worrying you. You called him a thousand times but he would never pick up. Not a word. So, what the fuck was he up to?

You sat on the couch, trying to distract yourself by watching the TV but of course, A-Train was selling his obnoxious energy drinks and claiming they would equip you with superhuman speed. You blamed him for Robin's murder just as Hughie did but it was still an accident. He was stopping a burglary on his way there. You switched the channel onto the news and a piece about the Flight 37 memorial was playing, interviewing the victim's families and Vought creating some sort of charity for them.

The world was so depressing right now. You had possibly lost your best friend and people were dying all around you. But you know who would be able to talk you out of feeling that way? Hughie. Nervousness dancing on your chest, you reluctantly dialed his number and drummed your fingers nervously on your knees. What were you expecting? He hadn't picked up the last 92 times so why should he now?
"For fucks sake, Hugh, pick up your goddamn phone." You mumbled and held it to your ear, it rung once, twice before a buzz outside your apartment door made you jump out of your skin.

What the fuck is happening? Okay, (Y/N), it's probably just one of your neighbours. It's fine.

But a second later, the muffled, faint sound of 'Big Shot' by Billy Joel escaped into the apartment. No one set that as their ringtone.

No one but Hughie.

You jumped up and froze - what if it wasn't him? What if someone had taken his phone and was coming for you next? What if that was why he hadn't answered?

The most reluctant knock at the door rang through your ears - just three times, oddly spaced and without a pinch of certainty. So, it could either be a very awkward person or a very dangerous person. You clutched the still ringing phone in your hand and hesitantly called,
"Yeah?"

The door cracked open and slowly swung back to reveal a sweaty, bloody, seemingly paralysed-
"Hugh Campbell! What the fuck did you think you were doing? Do you know how worried I've been-" You were cut off by his wide-eyed staring at you as he closed the door behind him.

He was different. This wasn't the Hughie you knew.

"What's wrong with you?" You asked a bit softer, trying to coaxe a word out of him.

He took a deep breath and relaxed somewhat, finally sighing,"(Y/N), we really need to talk."

__________20 minutes later__________

"Bullshit." You scoffed.

"No, (Y/N), I'm telling you!" He almost yelled.

You raised an eyebrow at him and repeated,"Compound V. Compound V is what gives the supes their powers, you kissed the new member of The Seven, and Vought are creating super terrorists?"

"Yes! Don't believe me, try calling my Dad, the CIA took his phone and disabled it." Hughie challenged. You hesitantly scrolled through your contacts and tapped 'Hugh Campbell Sr', putting it on speaker so that even he would see how ridiculous he sounded.

"This number has been disabled-" You put the phone down and ran a hand through your hair to comprehend all he had told you.

"Fine. What did you do with Translucent?"

"Oh... now, that's the one bit I didn't tell you-"

After he explained, you flat-out lost it. You'd been sat in your living room most days, worrying your ass off while he'd been running around with a British guy and literally killing supes.

"Hugh, this is mental." You let out a deep breath and bit your lip. Superheroes weren't real? But...super terrorists most definitely were.

"Yeah, it is." He agreed with a small smile. "Y'know I missed you, (Y/N)."

"Yeah, yeah, what are you doing here?" You quizzed, wondering why, after all this chaos, would he possibly want to come to see you.

"Oh... I-I need some clean clothes. And-and possibly to stay the night." Hughie stuttered out, you could see the anxiety returning in his face. So, maybe he hadn't changed that much. "After we escaped, I got separated from the guys and here was closest place I could think of."

You sighed to yourself and rolled your eyes - you did have some spare clothes for Hughie since you had just been friends with him that long.

"You're a mess, dude." You smirked at him,"Go get a shower, you stink, I'll bring you some clean clothes and tell me more about what happened in that basement with Kimiko - I want more details." You chuckled and pushed a beaming Hughie to the bathroom door.

You stared at the TV, which was still playing news, glaring right into the picture of The Seven. They looked completely different now. And with your brain so exhausted from trying to get your head around his whole experience, you sat down on the couch again flopped right back, falling asleep and knowing you'd soon be woken up by Hughie probably knocking something over.