16. Enemy

(Eight years earlier)

"Why do you want me to erase your memory, Juvia?"

"I can't live like this. I can't sleep. I'm so sad all of the time. I have no control over the rain. Please, Master. I can't be happy if I still remember everything."

"Memories aren't things to be messed with, dear one. You're asking a huge thing from me. Please, stop crying."

"I can't. My parents are gone. I'm all alone. She betrayed me. He killed them and then she-"

"Juvia, don't. You're only making yourself feel worse. You've been through unimaginable pain and loss."

"Please, master-"

"I'll have to take a trip to see my friends in the East. It'll take some time, but I know a woman who may be able to help you. But don't get your hopes up."

"I won't."

"Juvia, everything is going to be fine. You're safe here in Phantom Lord. You always will be."

"I know, Master. Thank you."

* * *

"Hey, look, the Oracion Seis has been defeated."

"No way! Really?"

"By an alliance of guilds from the south."

"Well, that's great! That's a cause for a celebration."

"Yeah, well, Tartarous is still up to no good. Look at this..."

"Shh, don't talk about it in front of the kids. Come on, let's go."

"Hey, Juvia? Whats wrong? Why are you shaking? Is it something those guys just said?"

"The T-T-Tartarous Guild. They.... He..."

"Can't you see it's upsetting her? She doesn't want to talk about it, Gajeel!"

"Shut up, Totomaru. Just 'cuz you're in love with her-"

"Now, now, boys. Play nice."

"Master! You're back!"

"Juvia? Come with me, please."

* * *

"And it'll make me forget everything?"

"Yes. I'm sorry it took so long. You won't remember anything. But there is a small catch. The spell can be broken by someone more powerful than me saying your full name, revealing your identity from before the memories were taken away. Now, don't worry. I know how much that name means to you. For your safety, you'll be kept from travelling further than Hargeon port. I don't want you fraternising with any guild members, in case they recognise you. Your family was popular and well-known. If you don't want to feel the pain you feel now again, do not go near another guild or any Ten Wizard Saints who aren't stronger than me. You understand, child? I'm trying to protect you, like you want."

"Yes, Master. That is what I want. I'll do whatever needs to be done."

"Okay, then. This may hurt...."

* * *

"Juvia! Snap out of it! What's wrong?"

"Gajeel, it's the spell. The spell has worn off. I can remember everything."

She was crying, and rain started pouring heavily around her.

"Oh, shit," said Gajeel, turning to look at the two Fairy Tail members. Neither Natsu nor Gray had gotten up. Gajeel stared at Juvia for a while, waiting for something to happen. 

"Surely they've won," said Lily to the others. "I don't like what's happening to Juvia right now."

"She needs to get out of there. I can feel the magic power from up here. She's so angry," said Sol.

"The commentators are refusing to announce them as the winners," Aria frowned. 

When Natsu and Gray finally moved again Juvia ran towards them, but ignored Natsu and went straight for Gray. 

"You! You ruined my life!" she screamed, hitting her hands together and creating a large magic circle.

"What?!" Gray barely had time to look up at Juvia, as he was thrown into the air, then shot backwards again.

"Finish him off Gajeel," Juvia said to him, referring to Natsu, who was hurt badly and struggling onto his feet. 

Natsu was panting, but Gajeel didn't attack him. He stared at Juvia and she stared back, then she separated her hands and started to calm down. 

But when she turned around to look at Gray a face appeared in her head of a man and a woman, then of another woman, stood in a familiar doorway, smiling at her sadly. 

"Juvia."

Her heart stopped and she started shaking, then moved her arm up and another magic circle appeared on top of Gray.

"Juvia, stop," Gajeel growled at her, "don't let your anger get the best of you." But she wasn't listening to him anymore. As far as she was concerned, only her and Gray were there.  

 "Dragon Slayer Tidal Fist!"

Gray was thrown back into the wall, and was left unconscious. The audience were screaming in terror. 

"Gray! Oh my god!" his teammates were yelling from the stands, noticing blood strained on the wall. Natsu ran over to him and tried to pull him out of the rubble, but Juvia whipped her arm and pushed him out of the way.   

"Stop the match! She's going to kill him!" someone yelled.

"Master, what's going on?!" Wendy asked Makarov in fear. He was staring at the Phantom Lord members in complete anger. 

"I don't really know, but she's going way too far. She's so angry..." Mixed with his anger were feelings of confusion, though, as he thought of Tanya Lockser visiting his guild all those years ago. 

"Juvia, don't..." Gajeel started. "We're done."

Juvia grabbed Gray by the neck and stared at his beaten up face in disgust.

"I know exactly who you are now, Gray Fullbuster. This isn't over."

Gray's hurt face was full of fear and confusion. Juvia dropped him, letting his weak body fall to her feet, and she spat at him, just as the commentators announced that Gajeel and Juvia were the winners. 

"Are they okay? Umm, don't worry folks, the paramedics are here," said one of the commentators, before clearing his throat. "And here are the scores for the end of the day..." 

Gajeel grabbed Juvia's arm and pulled her out of the stadium. Her tattoo disappeared and she had calmed down. She felt exhausted, letting Gajeel drag her weak body out of view.  When they were in the dark corridor, Gajeel turned and pushed her against the wall, his iron arms keeping her from moving away. 

"What was that? You nearly killed him! What happened to you wanting to keep a low profile? And now everybody knows you're a dragon slayer, too."

"He ruined my life," said Juvia blankly. "He needs to die."

"What?" Gajeel yelled. "What happened? The memory spell-" 

Juvia looked up at him with cold, sad eyes, her brain on fire with new, painful memories. 

"His father killed my family."