Chapter 1 A condemned Man

Rennar stumbled down the street, the rope tied around his waist swinging in front of him. A man named Chester sat on the horse that the rope was strung to. The three of them moved down the road at a quick trot. The handcuffs holding Rennar's hands firmly behind him dug deep into his wrists as he squeezed them into a tight fist. The frayed edges of his tattered clothes swayed in the wind, releasing the metallic scent of his dry, blood splattered clothes into the air. 

Rennar was a tall man with brown eyes and long, wavy grey hair that covered his neck and face.He stood tall as if  a nobleman, his very presence seeming to demand the passing crowds attention. As tall as one could, bound up and led by a horse. His head pounded violently, sending electric jolts throughout his brain. He squinted as the sunlight shone brightly into his eyes, wincing from the added pain of stretching his bruised cheek. He was careful not to limp, trying to ignore the jolt of pain from each step onto his right foot.

They stopped next to a guard in stiff leather armor holding a long spear, who stood watch at the keeps door. Rennar took a deep breath, as he leaned into his left leg. The guard looked Rennar over quickly before turning to Chester.

"Who'd you bring to the emperors piss-hole this time?" he asked.

Chester pulled some papers from his pouch, handing them down to the guard.

"I think they'll like this one Brent, makes a prime candidate. He got into a bar fight and killed two men. Not to mention the other three that will need months to recover. If they live long enough for it." 

Brent's eyes widened and the hand holding his spear began to whiten as he tightened his grip.

"He hurt that many men in a bar fight?" 

"And by himself to boot," Chester added. 

Brent glanced over the papers and nodded, "well it looks like everything's in order here, we'll have the usual bounty ready for you tomorrow, plus some if you're right about 'em selecting him. I'll take him from here."

Chester unraveled the rope from his saddle and handed it down, "well, until tomorrow then Brent." 

The horse resumed its trot down the road, leaving Rennar and Brent behind. Rennar grinned and stared intently at Brent, sensing his fear. Brent tugged tightly on the rope, causing Rennar to fall unexpectedly to his knees. 

"Get up, the Emperor's likely got something special planned for you." Brent spat at Rennar's knees before opening the door and stepping into the keep, pulling Rennar behind him. Rennar's thoughts returned to last night as he was led deep into the prison.

. . . . .

Rennar gripped his mug, taking a deep swig before slamming it back onto the table and looking around the room. A barely passable musician was playing the lute, serving girls were taking orders and delivering more drinks to the numerous people sitting at their tables. The constant noise that a crowd brought to a tavern on a busy night filled the room. There was four different games going on, and it was these that Rennar paid the most attention to. He stood and walked to the empty seat of a table where seven men were playing cards.

"How much is the buy in", Rennar asked as he sat down.

"Five silver", the man shuffling the cards muttered. 

Rennar paused briefly as he reached into his pouch. That was a little over what most men earned in a week of hard work. He counted out ten silvers and placed them onto the table, sliding five of them into the group of coins at the center of the table. 

The man grunted as he began dealing the cards and shouted, "get this man a pint, on me." 

So the games had  begun, and they were already trying to get him drunk. In a game at a place like this, the most important rule was to cheat. You just couldn't let anyone catch you at it. Of course, everyone assumed that the others were cheating. The important thing was that they don't notice how, or when. The true game was to out cheat the other players while they themselves cheated.