Chapter 6

"Laney." Elaine said after hours of sitting on the couch and me refusing to talk.

"Only my dad calls me that. You can call me Bentley." I said. "Or just leave me alone. That works too."

If I could I would be texting dad nonstop. But the first thing she did was take my phone and give me a new one with a new number and all.

"Before you go texting those people, I would remember I can see everything you text." She told me when she took my phone.

"I thought you said Shane taught you respect." She tried to get under my skin.

"He also taught me self respect and my worth. And I know I'm worth more than you."

She stood up and came at me faster than I could've seen coming and punched the side of my jaw.

"I would watch that fucking mouth if you ever want to get anything." She warned and I forced myself to not react.

"You don't have anything else to take from me. You already took my family. Do what you want."

She pushed my shoulder hard, forcing me to the floor.

"Go the hell to sleep."

I stood up and walked to my room.

The first thing I did when I got to my room was take a picture of the forming bruise on my jaw and the bruise on my shoulder.

The second thing I did was fall to the bed and cry. I wanted my dad. I wanted my room. I wanted Ryland and Morgan. I wanted my dogs and Cheeto. I wanted to cook with Ryland and watch scary movies with Shane.

The third thing I did was realize if I downloaded social media she couldn't see my DMs. So I downloaded Instagram and messaged dad.

Dad?
I miss you and I hate it here
Please fix this.
I have to delete Instagram so she doesn't know I have it so I can't talk long.
I love you

I send the 2 pictures of my bruises just as he responded.

I miss you Lane
Are you kidding me?
Is that from right now?
I'm trying my best I promise.

I don't know how much longer I could do this. It's barely been a day.

-

It's been a week. I haven't eaten and I've barely left my room. I was forced downstairs to play nice for some of her friends yesterday, but after she told me that I was disrespectful to her friends and I blocked out what happened but I ended up with bruised ribs.

I deleted and redownloaded Instagram all the time and I was sending dad pictures of bruises.

He said he was trying his best but I felt myself getting worse every day.

I haven't been motivated to do anything. I haven't done my homework this week and I haven't taken a shower either. I didn't want to do anything.

Elaine was mean. She didn't want anything to do with me. I don't know what her leeway was trying to get me back.

I got the youtube app and I kept watching videos of the 3 of us together. But today when I looked on Shane's channel it was titled Laney.

I clicked on it, and Shane and Ryland had both clearly been crying.

"Um, hey guys this video won't be edited or anything but we just wanted to let everyone know like why we haven't been doing anything." Ryland kept his eyes down as Shane spoke. "So everyone who watches my channel knows about my daughter Laney. So about 2 weeks ago we got a law court thing from Laneys biological mom, because obviously she's adopted, and she wanted to take Laney back into her care. A week ago the judge granted her that. Before anyone comments it- no it isn't my parenting it wasn't that I wasn't a good parent. It was just what the judge thought was best but the judge doesn't fucking know my kid I do."

He paused for a second as he got mad and started crying again at the same time.

"I'm sorry." He took a deep breath. "But we're trying everything we can to fix this and get Laney back home."

"Lane- we're trying. I promise. Don't think we aren't." Ryland said shortly.

"So guys just umm- pray for us if that's your thing. But we aren't really focused online right now. Thank you guys so much for all of your support. Laney- I love you. Umm yeah." And the video ended.

I miss my dad.