Chapter 14

Come here pleaseeeee

I texted dad as soon as I woke up. I stayed up late last night thinking about them getting married and if my life would change after that.

Dad knocked on the door before he came in. "Lane? What's up." He on my bed. "Were you crying?"

"Last night. Don't worry about it." I laughed. "I was just thinking about the wedding and stuff."

"Are you still okay with it?" He asked and I nodded.

"No, I want you to get married that's not it." I replied. "Never mind I don't know what it is."

"No tell me. What's wrong?" He slid closer to me.

"When you guys get married what does that make Ryland to me?" I asked.

"Is that what you're worried about?" I shrugged. "I mean, I guess technically he's your stepdad. But he can still be whatever you want him to be. You can still call him Ryland."

"Does that make him mad?"

"When has Ryland ever been upset over what you call him?" Dad pointed out and I shrugged.

"I just feel like it's not fair to him. I don't know." I stammered out.

"Wait, what isn't fair to him?" Dad said. "Sorry, this was just not the conversation I was expecting to have today."

"Like, you guys both do the same amount of stuff for me but like you're my dad and he's not."

"So what are you wanting to do?" Dad asked me. "I mean there are... what do you want to do."

"I don't know. I just feel like if you all are getting married and like you've been together so long. I don't think it's fair to him."

"Laney, this is not about him. This is about what you think. I mean, technically, if you want he could legally adopt you. Then he would also go on your birth certificate and he would be your legal guardian."

"Does that make sense?" I asked, fiddling with my fingers.

"If that's what you want that's what we can do." Dad nodded and then wiped off his eyes. "Sorry, I'm just..."

"Are you okay?" I gave him a weird look. "Do you not want him to?"

"No, no I do. I'm just happy that like you feel that way about him. That makes me really happy." He gave me a hug and kissed the top of my head. "So would you rather do it like around when we get married or like sooner."

"I guess sooner. I mean who knows when the wedding will be at this point." I joked.

"So I can get like legal documents and stuff fairly soon. Do you want to talk to him about it, or do you want me to. It's really up to you but I think you should."

"I can." I nodded.

"I'll tell you when I can get the legal stuff and then you can talk to him about it." He kissed my head again. "I'm proud of you."

We went downstairs and Ryland had made breakfast.

"I made eggs and pancakes, and Lane I made your coffee." Ryland pointed to everything as he spoke.

"Thank you." Dad lightly kissed his lips and grabbed a plate out of the cabinet.

Ryland handed me my coffee and I thanked him, then he pulled me aside for a second.

"Hey, are you okay? I heard you up late last night, and I didn't wanna bother you if it was nothing but I wanted to make sure you were okay." He said.

"Yeah, I'm okay." I thanked him again and gave him a side hug.

I ate my breakfast, and then we just hung out for the rest of the day.