Chapter One

QUICK NOTE: This Chapter was changed from first person to third person perspective. Please point out anything I missed. HAPPY READING

If you see any errors, just point it out please.

And don't judge my first chapter 🙏🏾 I promise it gets better

****************************************************

Just keep going, you can do this. Don't stop. You're almost there.

She made one large leap and grabbed the rabbit with both hands. She sighed. It had been a week since she had caught something to eat and she was getting tired of fruits. She yearned for meat and her rumbling stomach agreed.

"You're going to be a great dinner" She grinned her teeth as she held up the struggling rabbit by both ears. But something made her look at the bundle of fur wiggling in her hand. It was a female and she was heavy.

She passed her hand over her stomach to confirm what she already knew. It was pregnant. She sighed and lifted her head to the crystal, clear sky.

"Really, I haven't had any meat in days and you give me a pregnant rabbit." She shook her head and looked down at the creature again. She looked as scared and alone as herself.

"The Moon Goddess thinks she's funny but, guess what, you're still coming home with me." She held her ears, both her hind legs and maneuvered her way back to the hut.

She sighed as she entered the small clearing with the straw and thatch structure she called home. It wasn't much but it kept most of the water out and provided a shelter from the snow in the cold season.

"You are going to stay in here until I'm finished building you a nice little house." As soon as she released the rabbit, it sprinted to the far corner of the room, "okay, I deserved that. But I won't hurt you. Just stay here okay."

"Ugh, you can barely feed yourself and you go kidnap a rabbit to take care of. Now you do know you're going to have to feed her and her babies when they come. Well there isn't any shortage of leaves and vegetables. That's a good thing."

Talking to herself had become a habit. She felt as though, if she didn't talk, she would slowly slip into insanity. So Victoria mumbled along to herself as she gathered wood, chiseled out an opening in each and built a three foot long four foot wide rabbit house. It even had a removable roof, which was just five flat pieces of wood strewn across the base.

She marched back to the hut mentally preparing for the battle to come. "Well, come on mama rabbit. You have your own house."

The rabbit huddled in a corner, staring at her through one eye as she slowly approached her. "I'm not going to hurt you, okay. I'm just moving you to some place you'll be happier and safer."

The rabbit was quick to dash off, but Victoria was faster, grabbing her ears and holding her down before she could move. 

"Come on, you'll love the great outdo-", just as she was about to step outside, but movement caught her attention. Her heart began moving at a full gallop and her breathing quickened. No one came here. They aren't allowed to. It is forbidden.

"Who's there?" She hoped her voice sounded strong but in truth, it quivered, giving away her fear. Animals could smell fear and the predators thrived off it. She hated how weak and afraid she sounded. "Who are you?" She called out more firmly. The rabbit in her hand stilled.

"We heard a monster lives here" a small voice answered. She nearly wept. It had been years since she heard a voice that was not her own, "Are you the monster?"