Chapter 02

The next morning Tian awoke in his bed to the sound of soft knocking at his door. Still ragged from the events of the previous night, he had been treated by the best healers in their temple. Between the treatment and his own training, the poison had been mostly purged from his system. There was only the faintest trace of disorientation and weakness to suggest that he had been poisoned in the first place.

A soft series of knocks sounded once again, and this time Tian responded, "I am awake, please enter."

Another initiate, slightly younger than Tian, entered his room and gave a respectful bow. Tian sat up and gave a seated bow in return. Then the younger man spoke, "Grandfather Dragon requests your presence in the sanctuary."

"Thank you, I will be there shortly."

They exchanged bows once again, before Tian pushed himself from bed and quickly cleaned and dressed himself. He had expected that the masters would question him about the intruder, and the anticipation helped shake the last of his fatigue. The trip to the sanctuary was quick, and shortly thereafter Tian found himself standing before the three leaders of the temple. Beneath the statue of Ascendant Dragon was Grandfather Dragon, the oldest of the three grandmasters, who stroked his long silver mustache and bearded chin thoughtfully as he regarded Tian. To his left sat Grandmother Crane placid and unmoving, while Grandfather Tiger to the right watched with alert eyes, they deferred to Grandfather Dragon as was appropriate.

Grandfather Dragon pulled the crossbow bolt from his robe, his keen eyes studying every trace of the wicked barbs and fletching, "I have meditated through the night on the intruder, seeking why the eyes were stolen. Though the greed and vice of the outside world do not find a home within these walls, we know it drives the hearts of many men. And yet, I find that the true purpose behind this act of desecration transcends mere avarice."

Tian pondered on what Grandfather Dragon said, and it made sense. The Eyes of the Dragon were likely to be valuable, they were emeralds the size of a man's fist, but very few outsiders even knew of the eyes. In addition to that, the intruder had access to powerful magic, the mask that allowed him to teleport away must have been a very valuable item. It was clear that serpentine intruder was no average thief.

"The Eyes of the Dragon have been in our keeping since the founding of the order many centuries ago. We know these sacred relics contain great magical power, but the nature of that power remains unknown. Seven generations ago a great fire in the monastery destroyed many of our ancient scrolls, and sadly, much knowledge of the elder days was lost to us. Our legends of Ascendant Dragon, Celestial Crane, and Perfected Tiger are merely remnants of what once was," Grandfather Dragon finished with great sadness apparent in his voice.

"During my contemplation, I was gifted with a vision from the Ascendant Dragon. I beheld a distant place, older than most realize, which I believe is the port of Darmane. It is there the intruder has fled with his prize. In this vision, I was filled with the knowledge that forgotten lore of the eyes could be found there as well. I sense the hand of destiny in these events."

"We three Grandmasters have spoken, and we agree that one must be charged with bringing the Eyes of the Dragon safely home where they belong. We believe this Chosen One should be you."

Tian looked up at the three Grandmasters, taking in their gazes, and then up to the statue of Ascendant Dragon. When he saw the empty spot where the Eyes of the Dragon had been, his purpose became crystal clear. Determination was mirrored in his eyes as he shifted his gaze back to Grandfather Dragon. When he saw the looked in Tian's eyes he gave a small nod and broke into a rare and gentle smile, "I knew that you would accept before I even asked. Your journey will be difficult, but we know that you have the training and the spirit to return with the Eyes of the Dragon."

Grandfather Dragon removed an ornate emerald amulet from his neck and handed it to Tian, "This is the Talisman of the Dragon Guide, it bears a connection to the Eyes of the Dragon and will help you on your way. It will tell you if the eyes are near, and has other powers as well...if you are capable of unlocking them."

Grandmother Crane motioned to Tian and handed him a small bundle of items, "Inside you will find provisions and as much money as we could find, I hope it will help you on your journey."

Grandfather Tiger was last, and handed Tian the crossbow bolt that he had taken when Grandfather Dragon set it down, "This is very distinctive. Use it to find the thief. Take it. Remember your training."

Taking their gifts and advice, Tian gave a deep bow and then turned to leave the sanctuary. As he left, Grandfather Dragon spoke last, "May the Dragon guide you."

It took very little time for Tian to gather his few belongings. Soon enough he was departing the monastery on his quest. Word must have traveled fast, because as he walked out of the front gates the entire Order lined the walls of the gate, chanting in sublime voices for his success and safe return. With his heart filled, Tian waved to his brothers and gave a short respectful bow, before turning to walk down the mountain road.

Descending the mountain, Tian was struck by the awe-inspiring landscape – the craggy, snow-capped mountains, the brilliant green of the verdant valleys below and the feathery plume of water cascading from a high cliff face in a perfect waterfall. There was a magic to this place, as though the erhu and bawu instruments sang their melancholy music in his heart. Tian knew that he must return to this place one day.